Released in November 2020, the Mac mini features Apple's Arm-based M1 SoC with both an 8-core CPU and 8-core GPU. (Model A2348/EMC 3569)

Can you add a second drive inside the M1 Mac Mini

so, we know the older Mac Mini even with the soldered in memory and hard drives had a second port where you could add a second drive (HDD/SSD).

My question is for the M1 Mac Mini is there still an internal port where you can add a second drive?

Most Helpful Answer

Sadly no. Just like the M1 13” MacBook Air and the 13” MacBook Pro what you buy is all you get as everything is locked in.

No internal expansion possible!

Reference: Mac mini "M1" 8-Core 3.2 (2020) Specs

so you're saying there is no additional internal port. I'm not asking about swapping out internal hardware.

@marcemarc - A big ZIPO! Zero! Zilch! NOTHING!

Ok just trying to be 100% sure. I didn't see a tear down on here yet only the motherboard pic.

I'm guessing with the new thunderbolt spec it's almost as fast as putting a driving inside - not quite.

So other people out there, here's the question you can't add anything inside that big M1 Mac Mini box anymore!

@marcemarc - I'm also frustrated with Apple lack of internal expansion for either RAM or storage.

The Thunderbolt4 port is a bit awkward right now as most external drives are USB-C not Thunderbolt4 compliant, as such you are not getting the full bandwidth of the connection.

Anyways ... Please score the answer and accept it - Thanks!

Marc Marchioli will be eternally grateful.