Also known as the GS70 Stealth, this 17" gaming laptop was released in summer 2013 by Micro-Star International. Identified by the model number MS-1772.

Options for fan replacement

Hi all,

I recently bought an MSI gaming laptop (the GS66) The performance and specs are generally find but the fan seems to make a lot of noise. You can adjust the settings to make it work less hard, but that makes the machine heat up too much when in gaming mode.

My question: Is there a high quality fan out there that I could replace the existing one with? One that performs better and makes less noise.

Keen to hear your insights and with kind regards, Jasper

That’s a very useful response and some much appreciated suggestions. Many thanks Simone. I’ll bear all that in mind. The problem isn’t too big right now (as the laptop is only a few weeks old) but I fear it will get worse over time. Thanks again for the tips.

This is just my 2 cents, but I would avoid messing with such a delicate component of my laptop if not strictly necessary. I would first try a software solution like OS optimization and registry tweaking followed by benchmarking (there are many utilities for that on Windows). You can also create BIOS profiles to experiment with etc. Of course removing dust/debris stuck in the air cooling system will also help. A further step could be a light/moderate undervolt+overclock, still being extremely careful and keeping in mind this procedure will definitely void your warranty, just like a fan replacement would. Obviously you'll want to monitor your laptop temperatures and go one little step at a time

You're welcome. For a better gaming experience you can try enabling 'Game mode', lower Windows visual effects ('best performance' option) and enable High performance power plan (drains battery faster)

Jasper will be eternally grateful.