Motorola Atrix 4G

The Motorola Atrix 4G is dual-core Android-powered phone by Motorola.

Why is my external speaker not working?

External rear speaker just died while everything else seems working fine (earpiece, mic, 3.5" audio jack), tried hard resetting the phone a couple of times to check if it was a s/w issue but still not working, i guess its h/w related, please help..

having the same problem...

by Joseph

Most Helpful Answer

If you take apart the phone, the external speaker has no wire connection to the motherboard... It has two little pads that push against each other but are not actually connected with a wire. So when you twist the phone you are pushing these pads together to make a connection... this is a really really really poor design...

Grab the phone by the top and bottom and twist it as you are trying to play sound through the external speaker. Makes mine work everytime. These phones are **$$. This is my second one with the same problem. I have to bend it to make it charge too. Garbage.

I stumbled across this looking for a fix and thought that twisting it was a joke. I gave it a try and it worked. Must be an internal loose connection.

by electrcbil

yeah loose connection. twist it and it works i found the "earth" (for a better word, im a diesel mechanic lol) connects through the back of the phone. i found i tightened up the screws and all good, temp fix was to fold a small piece of paper and put just below the sim card and refitt the cover to the back of the phone,ALL FIXED UP

by justinclemson

electrcbil, three years later I have to comment to thank you for that tip, worked on my mother's brand new moto e like a charm.

by rowan

Yes! Twisting the phone as described above fixed the sound issues on my Motorola Electrify. I had no ringtones, notification sounds, no music would play aloud, speakerphone would not work. I could hear for phone calls and if I used an auxiliary cable to other speakers. I had removed battery and did a master reset - neither worked. Many thanks to whoever figured this out.

I actually found a work around using two small pieces of foil paper to contact the speaker terminals and it worked.

I went to the local ATT store and they said I had to upgrade which I did not want to do at this time, so I came home and read this post and to my delight it worked.I installed a medium guitar pick at the base of the sim card and closed it back up and it works like new.

What do you mean by twisting the phone? And I have a boost moto g with the non removable battery any idea on how to get my speaker to work?

unfknblvle- yes, i twisted my atrix just a little bit. and worked for a few seconds then the sound went off, i will open the phone and see what is loose . thanks .

Actually it works, thanks.

when I pressed it worked, as I checked it I notice the cover over the non-removable battery was over a little nail is got, I pushed under and perfect!

I was in the same situation...no charging ability and now external speaker...the charging is the important factor here...so being me I was going to break the phone in 2. Then noticed that it had begun charging again so have been doing this since. have not realized that it was a actual fix until reading these forums....see we all are genius's LMFAO. Have not checked the external speaker yet but going too. Paid for these phones and by the way I bought 2 of them. I live in Canada so you can imagine what these 2 phones cost me. I love Motorola products and have had nothing but the best to say about them. I am not pleased with the service from motorola or the way they treat us Canadians but that's the way I guess it goes. Going to try the paper and guitar pick thing and I bet it works...LOL...thanks to all of your sugestions CUSTOMER SERVICE.!

Mohamed will be eternally grateful.