A portable Bluetooth speaker manufactured by Ultimate Ears.

Megaboom 3 cannot downgrade demo mode firmware (v31.0.11)

I just bought a used Megaboom 3 which on arrival turned out to be a demo unit. I have read lots now about the demo units only being different due to the firmware version which disables bluetooth and requires a permanent USB cable connected to work.

Other people have been successful with earlier versions of the speaker in downgrading the firmware to the proper user firmware, but the apps I have are not working for this so far. I have the current version of the update assistant from the UE website which tells me the Megaboom is up to date (and has no option to thus do anything else), and an older app UE_1.3.91_x86 which does not recognise the speaker when the USB cable is connected.

Is there another version of the update app that will work with the megaboom 3 specifically and allow me to downgrade it please?

I’d be incredibly grateful as I was hoping to give this as a present. Thanks

SKIP THE UPGRADE

Save by fixing with an all-in-one kit.

Shop iPhone Fix Kits

SKIP THE UPGRADE

Save by fixing with an all-in-one kit.

Shop iPhone Fix Kits

I think you need to speak with Ultimate Ears support to see what they say.

Thanks, I did message them and gave very specific details of the software version I tried, the process, and the outcome of the software that it says it's up to date, and even gave the firmware version it's on etc, I. E. all the details needed.

They replied saying I should connect it to my pc and run the update assistant. Which means it ignored everything I said and was probably a bot detecting the word 'firmware' then sending a generic faq type response.

Not entirely surprising, but disappointing. I'll reply and chase it more. I know people have been able to downgrade earlier megaboom versions from demo firmware, but I cannot find the right software version to downgrade my one (a megaboom 3).

Hello Jim, where you finally able to downgrade the demo model?

Jim will be eternally grateful.