Nikon D5100

Released in April 2011, the D5100 replaces the D5000 as one of Nikon's popular consumer DSLR cameras. It features a replaceable Nikon F-mount lens.

Problems taking pictures

I have taken my new d5100 on vacation. Working great until yesterday afternoon. I took 10 pics through viewfinder and tried to review but no pics. Can't use live view , keeps saying too dark- but still takes pictures. Battery newly charged, huge memory card, HELP. In Thailand no camera stores

try taking batteries and card out for 30 minutes then reinstalling. Humidity there is pretty high..it may be causing you all sorts of problems. Have you a spare card? try reformatting that and taking photo's again..don't think it's your problem here tho'. You'd think there would be a Nikon shop with such a huge population..

by pollytintop

My problem is that when I go to re format my Pics it says I will lose them all. I have a lot of pics from 12 days here. We have 5 days left on samui, will take back to store when home, only had it 2 months, this is my first trip. Have the battery and card out so will try this. SO !@*@&! off

by Susan

Susan, may be you can use someone's computer to back up your pictures. Some hotels have a business center where you can take your pictures right from the memory card onto another storage medium so as not to lose the, Or see if you can get a separate card...

by oldturkey03

Don't know how long you are in Thailand, but there are 2 Nikon centres in Bangkok....here

have you tried changing the format of saved images? Just one of the suggestions off a forum.Apparently the Nikon is known to have problems with live view..

This camera is so new to me, I am quite nervous about doing anything that might wreck it

by Susan

DONT format the card with pics on!! Buy another, format it and see. The images should be on the card , you just can't use the camera to review.

by pollytintop

Susan, go with what pollytintop is suggesting. Your pics should be safe on the card for as long as you do not format it....enjoy your vacation and take lots of pictures. you will get to see them once you get back home ;-)

by oldturkey03

Thankyou all, found a photo hut here we tried a different memory card but no pic showing up. I think I have a bigger problem here. Too bad as I loved this camera. Brought out my old faithful for last part of trip.

by Susan

pants! really sorry to hear that..one thing you can't go and get again is a photo. I wish it had been different. All the best susan, enjoy the rest of your trip.

by pollytintop

Had the same problem twice. The problem is a stuck shutter.

I had it first after about 6000 pictures. Had it repaired and it happened again after about 3000 pictures. Hope to get a more permanent solution from the shop right now.

well i'm not the only one, as Martijn points out, it is a stuck shutter yesterday 19-Feb-2012 i had that problem too on my nikon d5100 and i'm wating for the service warranty, i'm kind dissapointed on nikon, i thought they shutter mechanisms were with better quality, specially for they dslr :-/

by Yavier

i think my shutter is stuck too...ugh and kids first soccer game is saturday :(

Sorry to hear that jessica, when that happened to me i miss some important events too, after sending my dslr to nikon it came back from warranty in about 4 weeks :-(, the shutter sounds different i hope it lasts the 100,000 shutter releases that nikon claims with so much enthusiasm in their website :-p

Susan will be eternally grateful.