1

Adam Hintz
1k

Broke vertical sync cable on reinstall... possible fix?

Hello everybody,

While reinstalling my display into my iMac, I broke one of the 4 thin strips of metal that comes out of the vertical sync cable. I only noticed this after restarting the computer and hearing a weird high-pitched ringing noise (and researching the issue, apparently this is a problem on many stock iMacs). The display itself appears to work fine, so I don't want to make things worse, but is it possible to cut the cable and strip the protective coating, making the cable viable again?

Edited by: Walter Galan ( ) , Adam Hintz ( )

2

Adam Hintz
1k

After finding the part online (about $20 USD, not too bad) I decided I could mess around with the cable - I mean it's broken anyways, right?

So I cut off the part that was broken (all of the exposed part) and stripped away the other half of the end (the cable is stiff at the end, and half of that part is the original exposed part). Plugged that into my computer (with the hacked part monitor-side to make insertion and removal easier in the future) and it works! No high-pitched whining :)

+ Thank you for coming back with the answer. I have never attempted to do what you were asking. It is good to know it is something that can be accomplished. By the way where did you find the part?

ABCellars,

Could you please elaborate further on how you did this? I have to do this after upgrading my hard drive also and have literally the same problems and same computer!

Craig,

Craig you will get the attention you need and deserve by posting your own question about this

ABCellars,