Sanyo Television

Repair guides and support for your Sanyo TV.

Sanyo tv model DP15647 sound but no picture.

The tv screen is black. No static picture at all, just black. The tv turns on , has sound.

Any suggestions? I like to tinker.

Do you have anything else connected to the TV i.e. DVD Satellite DVR etc.?Tried to disconnect everything from it? Changed your video input? Tried a DVD without anything else hooked up to it? Does any other TV work on that outlet? Not trying to insult you, just making sure we have more detail....Thanks.

by oldturkey03

my guess would be the inverter if you do all of oldturkey's trouble shooting and no dice..but no idea how you'd go about changing it in your tv..

by pollytintop

That was my thinking as well. Either backlight, inverter, or the LCD itself. Still need to rule out power board as well.....

by oldturkey03

Yes, everything is plugged in. Unplugging one unit that works, cable and outlet , then into this tv. So it's not those things. I'm thinking the LCD aw well. Can I replace that? Would it be difficult and costly? And , do you know how? Rita

by Rita

it's not likely that you need to replace the LCD unless you have dropped it or have obvious signs of damage to it, it is more likely that the power supply to the LCD is the problem. Most modern TV's have a power board, sound board and for want of a better term a picture board. The picture board on some TV's have capacitors that are prone to going bad..just replaced them on a cheap BUSH..cost £1.79. Unfortunately it's not always that simple.If you have sound when you play dvd or select TV mode then the likely culprit is a part on the picture board. If you are confident then you may like to try taking the old board out and putting in a new one. We may get lucky and oldturkey03 has the service manual to help you out in doing that. (I didn't have any manuals to go by but the nice people who made the TV put arrows on all the screws to remove for the back and disconnecting connections between the 3 boards was relatively easy, most were push pin connections-no soldering etc involved. All I needed was a philips head screwdriver and some patience) You can find the part no. you will need written on the board itself, and parts are pretty common on ebay. Good luck.

+definitely the way to go. Trying to get you the manual and will let you know as soon as I got it....;-) in the meantime follow pollytintop's advice. Just as an FYI, the LCD will cost you more than a new TV. They are difficult to obtain...

by oldturkey03

having just repaired 2 tv's...one with sound no picture, the other had no picture but sound, I thought I'd come back and offer my learnings. I bought 2 sound boards both were faulty! So had another look at the caps with a multimeter and found the culprit. Total cost £0.79. The sound boards cost £30 -£35! (returned both) So if you are good at soldering/desoldering and can find the burned/bulging cap I'd try that and save money.

by pollytintop

Rita will be eternally grateful.