Model A1312 / Mid 2010 / 3.2 GHz Core i3 or 2.8 & 3.6 GHz Core i5 or 2.93 GHz Core i7

How to fix Broken Internal Display Connector on iMac 27"

I have an iMac 27" that one of my coworker has damaged the display connector while pulling the LCD hard and snapped some pins from the board. This was done while i was replacing a hard drive that failed. "Common thing with the iMacs." Before coming here i have googled the problem, red so many forums and found a post in Macrumors.com, where people had this issue and fixed it by ordered the small connector and soldering it. I went ahead and ordered that connector, when i got it i quickly start soldering it. Unfortunately it is a bit challenging and spent days to get right without bridging it, but it is impossible. I have become so impatient that i want to throw the whole thing in the garbage, but i have got so many video projects to do being a video editor. I want to know if other people are experiencing this issue, and how to they dealt with it. Also if there are anyway repair places that i send the logic board and they fix it for cheap, i know how much apple is demanding and i just can't afford that. Thank you in advance for any replies.

I have attached some photos for reference The board

[ http://tinypic.com/r/2wovhuu/7|Broken INT DP]

Part

I'm in the same position with you right now , it's looking I will have to replace the cable also has it's lost two of the gold coverings . I've looked In to having it professionally done but sadly they said it needed the whole motherboard replacing , and then offered to purchase the machine off me for a few quid.

So I've started having a go myself. The issue is when I go to insert the lvds cable the force I have to apply to get it in breaks the connector again.

Waiting for the 2nd connector to come.

Any advice welcome

I did the same thing. The graphics card died 4 years to the date. I pulled the screen and decided not to get a new card (cost at the time). I removed the drivers so at least I got some graphics so I could use it render video not watch it. I never secured the screen back to the frame. A years passed and I reached under the mac and bumped it tipping it forward and fell out ripping to cables. I had the pins exposed and at angles. I used 3 very strong lights and magnification to slip the connector back on the pins. I then used a hot glue gun to secure the connector to the pins. Ordered the other cable and a new graphics card. Replaced the 1TB HD with a 500GB SSD and I gave new life to my late 2009 iMac i7. This photo is from this morning. I missed the SD slot and inserted the SD card into the cdrom. Had to take apart to retrieve.

http://tinyurl.com/zmp9lz6

The same happened to me on my out of warranty iMac 27 when I was replacing my defective super drive with a blu-ray player, where I lost a pin on the right side, and on the left side, eight pins were pulled off along with the left most pin pulling off a pad, and part of a trace.

I have not soldered anything since I was a teenager, and I definitely have no experience soldering SMT, so I watched, and studied a lot of video on YouTube. This made me want to get back to my old hobby, but I have no equipment!

I ended up buying a new connector from L2 Computer Inc on eBay, Aoyue 968A+ 4 in 1 Digital Hot Air Rework Station along with a bent nozzle from SRA Soldering, solder paste from Zephyrtronics, schematics from NotebookSchematic, microscope from MicroscopeNet, and a meter from a local electronics store.

When I got my equipment, I did some practice soldering on a practice board, gaining some experience on how the hot air soldering work, and how the solder reacts, figuring out the correct temperature to use.

I used the schematics to figure out where the replacement trace should go. To replace the torn trace and pad, I used one of the pulled pins, and shaped it with needle nose plyers. I applied soldering paste onto the pads, and improvised trace/pad. For those pads with pins attached, I pulled out the corresponding pins off the new connector, and then slipped the new connector on. Using the Hot Air rework station, I used the hot air to solder the connector back on, and the soldering iron to solder the two ends back onto their respective pad. I then used the meter to make sure all the connections are correct according to the schematics, and touched up with solder paste, and hot air where ever the connection was not good, especially my improvised trace fix.

I was successful, and typed up my experience with my fixed iMac 27.

I probably spent more than what it cost to ask someone else to fix it, but cheaper than buying a new logic board.

With my new equipment, I can now go on to fix other electronics!

pmah ,

Thank you for the post. Could you please elaborate on how you restored the broken pads. You said you used schematics and broken pin to retrace the trace. Please explain how exactly you used the pin?

Also where did you find schematics?

Finally, what settings on the tester did you use to ring the connections? I believe one should be careful with the tester and this board in order not to damage it.

Hi everyone. Here's a link to a great video of someone soldering a connector onto a logic board.

http://youtu.be/M4POV5jnEQA

Unfortunately music in place of any commentary or helpful tips, but the video does show the process. Hope this helps!

Look me up and send it our way. We can replace these connectors no problem!

Where are you located?

LVDS soldering video with great commentary.

http://youtu.be/XqaZpIDEju8

Using hot air to re solder the connector is a bad idea you can easily melt plastic inside the connector pairing pins then you have bigger problem. You should invest in a fine tip for the iron and decent magnifying glass , with plenty of flux and pre tinned pads you should be able to heat on top to bind on bottom. Hot air to get it off ,unless it's off already and drag soldering to get it back on.

I'm located in Memphis, tn. Follow john's steps and if you have any questions please post here!

Masuod will be eternally grateful.