Repair and disassembly information for the 2020 refresh of the MacBook Air. Released in March 2020.

Is there a custom aftermarket heatsink that we could upgrade to?

just wondering if something can be adapted to help out dissipate the heat faster

Most Helpful Answer

Its a bit more than a heat sink that’s needed. Apple’s physical design still won’t allow the heat to dissipate via the fan.

If I was Apple… I would have created a vapor chamber which can be made thin and then mounted with a fin assembly to the side with the fan blowing across pushing the heat out.

If you look you can see there is enough room to put one in. mmm… a possible upgrade kit??? You still would need to tune the thermal management logic within the SMC as Apples thermal curve still would be biased against the improved cooling.

References:

It would most likely be very hard to upgrade the heatsink itself, however a better quality cooling paste and installing a thermal pad between the case and the heatsink would most likely help a bit.

The idea behind the current cooling solution is to push air through the system to cool everything with one fan instead of focusing a lot of cooling capacity on the CPU. If you’re okay with breaking the warranty I’d likely recommend that

Adrian Stefan will be eternally grateful.