motor cuts off when engaging blades

I have a 12 year old 19.5 hp craftesmen riding lawn mower that runs at high and low ideal when no blades are engaged but now when i engage the blades the motor stops running. Changed oil,changed plugs ,changed air filter,washed ,air tires. No luck fixing.

Cleaned everything up around pullys, checked belts and and put all back together only to started it and hear a very high pitched circular squeel in the motor. I'm thinking the motor is going bad. Thanks for all your suggestions. But i'm thinking it's time to take to a pro.

Sorry to hear about your engine. Hope everything works out and let us know how it is going

Turn your mower off and check how the blades turn underneath the deck. Any obstruction, damaged pulley shaft, or seized pulley can be the cause of that. Check your belt and make sure it is properly routed and that it does not get hang up at at of the belt guides. Remove the pulley covers from the top of the deck, and check to make sure that he belt and pulleys are properly functioning. I also think that there is a possibility that your mower may have a safety interlock system that prevents the mower from engaging when there is no operator. So check on the safety switches, I believe it to be on the seat. as well as on the parking brake. This of course is only valid if your engine is properly running, that the idle is high enough and that the engine still has enough torque to deal with the mower deck. Good Luck and I hope this helps.

+ I think you about hit it all oldturkey. The only thing I would add to that is some of them also have a safety switch that will kill the motor if it is gear when you attempt to engage the blades. The transmission speed lever needs to be in P and the High, Low, Forward, Reverse lever needs to be in N when the blades are engaged. After the blades are engaged you can put it in gear and it will run.

My 42" cut Poulan riding mower was running perfect. I made 3 path cuts. On mine you have to disengage the blades when using reverse. I had to do that and then when I went to engage the blades when in forward gear the mower cut off and now will not crank. Just put new blades on it today.

Mine is the same, same brand and size, What was the problem?

I have a ZTS 7500 zero turn rear engine rider model 107.28791. Has a 26 HP Kohler Engine.

Starts great, when I engage the blades it dies. Clean under deck. Changed plug, and filter still has problem .

Had same problem with my Hustler Fastrak. After cleaning carb, changing fuel filter, air filter spark plugs I still had the problem. I realized that it only stalled under a load. I decided it was a weak fuel pump. After replacing the fuel pump it works like a champ. Probably needed to do all the other things anyway. Hope this helps.

I find it to be the safety switches being the culpret, check for out of positition, debries interfering with it, its not nessarily the switch , the can be pricey. if certain conditions are not met, trying to engauge the blades will cause the engine to die.

I h ave a craftsman riding mower. I went to mulch a bunch of leaves and it squeaked and smoked then shut the mower off. I thought the belt got wet from leaves. Now when I engage the mower it shuts down & it smokes. what should I do. steve

david will be eternally grateful.