Model A1224 / Mid 2007 and Early 2008 / 2, 2.4, or 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Installing SSD in iMac Mid 2007

I'm wanting to install a 128GB Crucial m4 2.5" SSD w/ 3.5" Adapter Bracket into my 2007 iMac.

Will the thermal sensor currently installed having any issues determining the hard drive temperature? Will it cause the fan hard drive fan to run at max speeds?

From what I understand, the thermal sensor issue reared it's head with the 2008 or 2009 models. I think I should be safe. But, I would like some confirmation from someone who knows.

Will there be any other issues using the thermal sensor?

Will there be any issues with 3.5 inch adapter?

We have not personally installed an SSD on this particular model, but it does work. Also, this question has been covered Can you install ssd hard drive into this machine? Replacing sata hard drive with ssd on Answers. Simply install the SSD into your adapter and install it into the iMac. The most critical part is transferring your thermal sensor over to the SSD. The thermal sensor can be seen in the guide here. Before reassembling your machine, be sure that the thermal sensor will remained adhered to the body of your SSD (you can always add strips of tape over it to hold it on) and you should be fine.

The systems I/O limit you. Your iMac only has SATA 2 I/O (3 Gbit/s). The '11 iMac's with EFI update 1.6 applied will give you SATA 3 (6 Gbit/s).

I used the Newer Tech AdaptaDrive 3.5"–2.5" adapter and it worked flawlessly for mounting the much smaller Samsung SSD into my early 2008 iMac's drive mount.

The SSD I'm getting comes with a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter. So, I'm good there.

But my iMac is before 2008/2009 so the thermal sensor is supposed to work so that the fan doesn't fun at full speeds.

I have you tried installing an SSD on my particular model iMac Intel 20 Inch 2133?

Well, I did the get the Crucial M4 128 GB SSD installed and it's working beautifully. Taking the iMac apart was tedious but very easy.

Here's my tips:

1. buy the torque screw set from ifixit.com or somewhere online (but why not ifixit), you can't find a screw set that small anywhere like home depot or radio shack

2. the crucial 3.5 adapter kit does not fit from crucial we had to cut a large piece of foam and place it behind the kit to secure one end from moving up and down (not may favorite solution, but it's very secure)

3. a third party SSD will NOT have trim enabled with Lion, be sure to find one that has a fairly decent garbage collection feature installed on the disk itself. not sure if this is going to cause a problem or not

4. also, the thermal sensor is on the SSD and the HD fan is not spinning up crazy. It's nice and quiet

SSD is great. Applications open in about a second or two. It's CRAZY!!! Never going back.

I just installed a Corsair Force 3 in my EMC 2133 20" iMac 2.0 ghz C2Duo, 4 gb DDR2 667 MHz. Seriously doubled my performance!! No lie! Was very easy to install. Lion runs so fast now!! The thermo sensor is not that bad except you do need to tape it to the drive. Other than that, It's up to you to secure it in the 2.5" drive in the 3.5" opening. I basically have it screwed in using the bottom mounts. I figured it's pretty stable considering it's a stationary computer. You will not be disappointed with this upgrade!

Adding more memory to your system is always a good idea. The trick here is making sure you've done your homework! Sometimes you may need to remove the old modules in order to gain the most GB and inter-leaf efficiencies. Using memory that is over the rated speed needed for the system does not buy you much and may cost more than you need to spend.

I have a 2007 imac. I installed an external SSD hard drive to the firewire port. The new el capitan OS on the external hard drive and the imac boots up from the external drive. Works well.

It ignores the internal disc hard drive and there is no problem with the fan or thermal sensore.

I just installed a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid SSD in this iMac (20") I used Intel's OEM 3.5 to 2.5 adapter, getting it to mount properly with the sata data/power cables was a little challenging but I eventually got it. I put the thermal sensor on the HDD as well, experienced no problems with fan speeds.

My answer is a bit late but I had kept my mid-2007 iMac at Snow Leopard and it performed well. Migrating to Mountain Lion saw a noticeable decrease in performance and I opted to install an SSD. I put in a Samsung 840 Pro series, 256 GBytes SSD in my iMac and saw a remarkable performance increase.

I followed the disassembly instructions on iFixit and the only problem encountered was related to the mounting bracket. The bracket has to be full length. In my case, the metal adapter had undersized holes with different thread pitch. I re-drilled to correct size and re-tapped the screw holes to work with Apple original hardware.

I also used Chameleon SSD Optimizer, which seems to work like a charm. The SSD is by far the best upgrade I have ever done.

Are you sure that an SSD is working in the A1224 Model? I'am not able to install Mavericks on Mountain Lion on my SSD. The 64GB Sandisk SSD is working fine but the Installation hold close to 90%.

Any Ideas?

What do you mean by 'hold close to 90%'? Also are you using an optical drive carrier for the 2nd drive or did you replace your HD for the SSD?

I'd replace the optical drive

OK, so you have a dual drive setup. Are you ale telling us your drive is full here 90% If that is correct then your issue is the SSD is too small or you need to clean it out (move as much your stuff to the HD as you can) so there is room for Mavericks to fit. Ideally, you should leave 1/3 to 1/2 of the SSD free.

I've just installed a Crucial M500 480Gb SSD in my mid 2007 iMac (2133). Everything went flawlessly and the guides on iFixit were very clear and helpful.

Because of the different drive size (2.5inch) I bought the Newertech AdaptaDrive 2.5" to 3.5" Drive Converter Bracket in a Dutch online store.

It took me about 45 minutes to open up the iMac, remove the HDD, install the SSD en to close the whole thing again. Removing the LCD display is actually the 'hardest' part because you don't want your 'greasy and sweaty' fingers on it. In the end, it all seemed simple and straightforward.

I'm now running Lion with 4Gb RAM, the 480 Gb SSD and TRIM enabled; my iMac feels like new. The disk speeds are roughly 4,5 times faster than the original HDD.

What's about the Fan speed, because i did the same, and the Fan always in full speed. do you install the sensor somewhere on SSD?

Regards

How about creating your own question with your details. As I'm sure rivdijk has moved onwards. And, yes you do need to take the sensor off the HD and place it on the SSD in this series otherwise the fan will ramp up without the sensors input.

Not an SSD answer but related to fan noise issues with 3rd party HDD replacements. I put in a 500Gb WD disk (not SSD) and the fans went mad. Got this free app and turned them down: http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/

@James - Sorry this is not the ideal way to fix things. You really need to fix the issue on why the SMC services are not working as designed. Fan control software maybe a good short term band-aid, but its not a good long term solution! You'll burnout the fans and/or shorten the systems lifespan with either a HD or a SSD. Trust me we learned the hard-way ;-{

Josh Richardson will be eternally grateful.