A popular graphic calculator released by Texas Instruments in 1996.

Why TI-83 wont turn on

Hi.

I'm having a problem with my TI-83, it doesnt turn on.

I have replace the batteries, the 4 AAA and the

backup one, and followed all the hints supplyed in TI,

troubleshouting section.

It still doesn turn on.

What can I do?

Hi I am haveing the same problem. Although I have not yet changed the backup battery.

I was able to fix mine by removing the four AAA batteries and then pressing the on button for thirty seconds. I put the batteries back in and I was in business.

Thanks Paul! That worked for me!

Worked great for me, too. Thank you.

Thank you very much! It worked the first try.

THE SOLUTION BELOW WORKED FOR ME - slightly different from what's written above. Got my 10+ year old TI-83 Plus to turn on :)))) From TI's webpage: " Remove one of the AAA batteries. Press and hold [CLEAR]. While holding [CLEAR], reinsert the AAA battery and press [ON]. The calculator should display the message "RAM Cleared". Release [CLEAR] and then press it one more time to remove the message.

Have no idea why, but that worked! :D Thank you so much!

Step 1. Remove one AAA battery. Press & hold Clear button for 5 Seconds. Replace the battery and turn on.

if that doesn't work go to Step 2.

Step 2. Remove one AAA battery. Press & hold DEL button for 5 seconds. Replace battery and turn on.

if that doesn't work go to final step.

Step 3. Remove all batteries including the back-up battery for at least 5 minutes. After 5 minutes replace all batteries and turn on

THE SOLUTION BELOW WORKED FOR ME - slightly different from what's written above. Got my 10+ year old TI-83 Plus to turn on :))))

From TI's webpage: " Remove one of the AAA batteries. Press and hold [CLEAR]. While holding [CLEAR], reinsert the AAA battery and press [ON]. The calculator should display the message "RAM Cleared". Release [CLEAR] and then press it one more time to remove the message.

Thank you so much! I was discouraged when step one didn't work, but step two worked!! This will save so many calculators from being thrown away

tried several things. this one worked great. thanks. btw, did replace the back up before doing this but that did not seem to help. Maybe I needed to do both?

If all else fails and nothing turned it on, remove the batteries and back cover, expose the 3 surface mounted chips and lightly with a fine soldering tip reheat all the leads

I checked all the normal procedures and tested the ribbon cable for continuity all was fine. Heating up the chip connections powered it up

I got mines to work by repositioning the springs that connects to the back of the triple A batteries. Try to make sure that the spring is bent out of position before you put them in.

I've been doing everything to fix my calculator but it doesnt turn on! Im worry that it'll never work again

If the above doesn't work, then you need to look at the contact springs from the batteries to the main board. The board flexes slightly when buttons are pushed and this causes there to be wear between the spring and board contact pad. In my calculator, the spring wore thru the contact pad. To reach the contact pads, you simply remove the 6 screws along the outer part of the cover. Then remove the screw covering the flat backup battery - just above the batteries. Get a small flat blade screwdriver and pry along the edge of the upper and lower covers (not the loose cover). Work along the edge and unsnap the 3 snap joints. There is one at the top center and one on each size approximately centered along the length of the battery. When you get the cover removed, look at the pads. You will probably see a black dot but if you look under a magnifying glass, you will see the bare circuit board. At this point, look at the pads to be sure there is no corrosion on them. It will look like a white or green powder. Remove with alcohol and Q-tip.

Turn over the the battery cover and with a pair of needle nose plyers, bend the two outer spring fingers inward a bit. When you put the covers back together, you will be able to see thru the two square holes by the inner 2 batteries if the springs are making contact with a different location on the pad. A flashlight and magnifying glass is helpful. Best to put the batteries back in place and see if it will power on. If so, then reinstall the screws and your back to a working calulator.

Did all and none worked, replaced my 4 triple A batteries hit the 2nd key and up arrow repeatedly and it came on saying Ram cleared, the I fixed contrast appropriately.

One more . . . Stretch the springs just a bit that contact the knob end of the battery... mine were pushed in and couldn't reach battery. Carefully!!!!!!!!!!!

lucy will be eternally grateful.