Is there a way to change the low battery warning threshold?

I have a slightly defective battery. The battery thinks that its capacity is higher than it is, and my system completely shuts off when the reported capacity hits 28%.

This actually isn't a huge problem-- I'm pretty diligent about watching it and getting plugged in before I hit 28%. BUT it would sure be great to get a low battery warning when I hit 38%.

(The ideal solution would actually be to reprogram the battery to think its capacity is accurate, but I don't think that's feasible without accessing its internal electronics.)

It is possible to reprogram the battery without removing the battery from the laptop. Click here for a video discussing the topic. The White Paper on the subject and tools used can be downloaded if you click here

Sure you can. There's a couple of different routes you can take:

Check out this MacOSXHints forum post on how to set up an Applescript that gets triggered at a certain battery percentage.

There are also 3rd party battery warning applications available, such as SlimBatteryMonitor, that lets you set the low battery warning level to whatever percentage you want.

For wanting to add a certain feature or ability (like setting macbook to warn you when battery is a certain percentage low) Which route is preferred, setting an Applescript, orgetting a 3rd party app? (Wondering if adding apps may be not as ideal, because maybe each app you add might cause potential problems (compatibility issues, etc..)? Or am i guessing wrong? Thanks for explanation! :)

Kyle Wiens will be eternally grateful.