Why does power go off immediately after turning it on?

When the laptop power is turned on, it goes off immediately. Have changed the battery and charged for days and no difference. What could be wrong.

Most Helpful Answer

Eddie, this particular series has its fair share of problems. For example, there is the dreaded BIOS F39 issue which cause absolute failure and is a firmware issue that, most of the time, will require motherboard replacement. Then there is the overheating issue. The design of the laptop delivers poor ventilation and causes the computer to overheat. You can try something similar to a hard reset. This is simply to remove power from the laptop. Remove the Battery. With all removed from the laptop...hold the power button down for one minute. Then release the power button. Plug in the battery first...then the power cord. Try powering the unit up again. This reset will not do anything but do a Hard reset on the machine. If none of that works, It might just be time to further investigate and to open the laptop up. you definitely want to clean it of all corrosion and especially dust in the vents and around the fan. Make sure that the fan works since a bad fan can cause this error as well. I do hope this helps and at least gets you started. Good Luck

The service manual is available here.

Thanks OldTurkey, I've pressed power button for more than 1 minute without battery and now it's work again.

by Iena Plinsky

Iena Plinsky, you are welcome

by oldturkey03

This Laptop and others from HP are notorious for the Nvidia graphics chip to overheat and come loose from the motherboard. It is a design flaw that HP has known about for some time. It can be repaired by reflowing the chip or just replacing it.

Which chip would you reflow with the given symptoms? The 6000 ERA had more bad Southbridge BGAs than it did Northbridge/video BGAs. The Southbridge is definitely not NVIDIA. One way to figure out if the Southbridge BGAs are the culprit of these symptoms is to put pressure on the palm rest to the left of the trackpad while attempting to power it on. If it powers on you found the problem. To verify remove the pressure the system will almost immediately freeze or power down.

by ABCellars

You raise a very good point. I, however, having only repaired a dozen or so of these units, re-balled or replaced the video chip. I do like the palm rest trick you mentioned and will try it next time I get one in for repair. Thank you.

by Ewickline

HP DV6000 power ON and OFF Solved, check this:http://computerproblems-resolved.blogspo...

Eddie will be eternally grateful.