Why has my screen started blinking?
Before you jump to the same generic “have you tried restarting, hard resetting, taking out the battery, etc.” please know the following:
- The calculator, as far as I know, has not suffered any physical / liquid / electrical damage and has not run any 3rd party software (ASM programs).
- One day, the screen simply started blinking upon powering it on.
- Attempting to reset (holding down reset indent in back) simply powers the calculator off.
- Quick-pressing the reset button halts the screen flickering for less than a second, but then returns to flickering.
- Conducting the hard reset ([2nd][del] held, pressing and releasing reset indent) causes the screen to remain solid white, even after releasing the keys.
- No other keys or key combinations appear to impact the displayed white.
- The calculator is not recognized by Connect-CE in any of the above states.
- Plugging in the calculator automatically turns it on to the flashing screen.
- The backlight appears to be at the max (default-available) brightness.
- Attempting to send anything (including OS) from another TI-84+ce via USB-miniB (cable from box) turns charging indicator green briefly, before fading to orange and turning off.
- The charging indicator shutting off in the above coincides with the working calculator throwing “ERROR: Error in Xmit” which is the same error that occurs when no receiving calculator is connected.
- I have tried switching the cable’s orientation (A-B and B-A) and can assure you that the cables were plugged in completely. No change.
- Finally, I interchanged batteries between the working and unusable calculators, both worked in the functional device, but neither effected the flickering on the calculator in question.
I appreciate any advice you can give and would be happy to test and report further information should it help this cause. I have yet to open the calculator (due to tiny star screws used) but am open to the idea as soon as I track down a corresponding screwdriver.
Just to summarize, this once $120 calculator became a temperamental flashlight for reasons beyond my understanding. ;)
[Edit] I just wanted to add that I have taken a look at TheLastMillenial’s Ti-84 + ce troubleshooting guide, among others, with no success.
Is this a good question?