The HTC Desire HD is an Android smartphone by HTC Corporation.

What layers and components does the screen consist of?

What are the 'layers' that make up the screen of the phone?

From my lack of understanding, here is what it seems to be:

(Imagine the phone laying face up)

[Towards front of phone]

- Glass panel -

- Digitizer -

- LCD screen -

[Towards back of phone]

I'm guessing that's wrong however. Is there another plastic or glass layer somewhere in there? Is it out of order? Is the glass panel the LCD screen?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

digitiser display panels WVGA TFT touch touchscreen capacitive part component make up makeup make-up layer (this is just here to help with searches)

Just tag the question. You do not have to add your search strings on the bottom of the question ;-)

Not exactly sure what you are looking for, I can only add that your display consist of the LCD and the digitizer. I do know that people refer to this as the "Glass" or the "Touch screen" So in order to replace the display you would need a digitizer and a LCD. Here is a video from HTC that will show you what needs to be done. Shows the repair of a cracked digitizer. The parts needed are available here Hope this helps. Good Luck

All right- so the display is made up of just the LCD and the digitiser. That makes sense.

Are both of them made of glass?

Which of them is 'on top' and which is 'under'? For example, if I put my finger on the screen of my phone, am I actually physically touching the screen, or the digitiser?

Thanks for the video links and explaining that!

The reason I'm confused is because the outer/upper/external piece of glass on my screen is smashed and cracked.

However, all touch functionality is fine and the display is fine (no distortions, funny colours, no bad pixels, everything displaying just fine).

Therefore, as far as I can see, my LCD screen is okay and my digitiser is okay.

If that's the case, what exactly cracked?

Thanks so much! I get it now :)

Just like pollytintop clarified, the outer layer is glass adhered to the digitizer. That is the part that will show the cracks. The digitizer is underneath the glass and most often can NOT be separated. It is technically two pieces that make one unit. When the glass breaks your digitizer still works because the circuit is not interrupted.

All right, I am replying to both of you, oldturkey and pollytintop in this comment.

I guess that when I was what I'm physically touching, it would mean the glass specifically. That makes sense. Am I right then to say that three layers 'physically' make up the display? (e.g. a wheel is physically the tyre, the rim and the hub.) First the glass, then the digitiser, then the LCD?

However, is it also correct to say that if you were to order a replacement glass, you would need to buy a digitiser? That is, a digitiser that consists of a circuit layer and a glass layer?

Notes/summary for those who arrive at this page:

- The only glass component of the screen/display is the digitiser - When your screen shows cracks, it is the digitizer that is cracked

- If your screen is cracked, you will most likely only need to replace the digitiser

- Whilst your digitizer may be cracked, it may still have full touch functionality due to the circuitry remaining intact

- This is the layer 'make-up' of the screen/display:

[front of phone]

[DIGITISER / DIGITIZER LAYER]

[LCD PANEL LAYER]

[PHONE INNARDS]

[BACK HOUSING COVER]

[back of phone]

Just to clarify... The digitiser is the same size as the LCD and is adhered to the outer glass. When your display is cracked it is the GLASS not the digitiser. When you touch your phone display you touch glass NOT digitiser.

Most touchscreens have more than two layers.

On most touchscreens there are usually two layers that make up just the digitizer. The glass on top that you touch and the actual digitizer sheet which consists of the touch matrix circuitry. The digitizer sheet is adhered to the glass so it often appears to be one piece. So you where correct to assume glass cover, digitizer and then lcd. The digitizer sheet and glass have a small gap that has an adhesive in it. On both the glass(bottom) and digitizer(top) is a transparent metallic conductive coating which is usually indium tin oxide. The human touch is conductive which allows for the electical sensors in the digitizer and glass sheets to sense the touch at a specific location.

Some of the newest technology such as Super AMOLED is able to get away from the two conductive sheets and has the touch sensors built into only one sheet, so these touchscreens would be an exception. So most forms of touchscreens consist of three or more layers.

I'm sure as time goes on the technology will change to allow for thinner touchscreen such as the super amoled.

^ finally someone on the right idea. there's a !&&* of a lot more than 2 layers to a touchscreen. this is a broken 4s screen right here - that's 5 layers in addition to the "glass" that's still glued to the LCD.

http://www.wiselyguide.com/amoled-lcd-be... about half way there's a pic that explains this.

Ron Au will be eternally grateful.