Repair guides and disassembly information PC laptop (notebook) computers of all shapes, sizes, and colors.

Laptop shots off when I move the screen backward. fixable?

My Lenovo S510P Touch shuts down whenever I move the screen backward (increase angle between screen and keyboard) but remains on if I don’t move the screen or when I move the screen forward. The computer can be powered on no matter what the angle between the screen and keyboard is, but once its on and booted up, I cannot move the screen backward or the power would be gone. Is this a cable problem or a motherboard problem ? If cable, is there a good link to show me how to change it ? Any advice will be appreciated.

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

The screen cable runs through the hinge so it sounds like the cable has frayed in the hinge and is getting shorted. You need to dismantle the screen and remove the whole screen and back from the laptop and examine the cable. Any of these cables can break inside so it is probably best just to completely replace the cable thatruns through the hinge section.

I thought the cable was the problem too until I called this local computer store and told the technician the problem. He said because the computer was powered off, not just dark out, it was a motherboard issue. Does that sounds right ? I will try to open it up and check on the cable and hopefully it is only a cable issue.

Most Helpful Answer

Ray L this sure sounds like a bad cable. Download the maintenance manual from here and check the cables for any break in the insulations or any other damage

Thank you so much. I'll try and hopefully I can locate the bad cable !!

Ray L will be eternally grateful.