Repair guides and disassembly information for Asus Republic of Gamers laptops.

My Asus laptop won’t power on/boot up at all after shutting it down

My Asus laptop (I think it’s gl rog something.. but I know it’s a gaming computer)(edit: it is Asus Rog GL552VW)

wont turn on after shutting it down. Right now, my laptop can still charge since the battery light turns on when I plug it in. Although, when I try to push the power button or hold for 30+ secs it won’t turn on.

This started at Aug 16 around 2am when I was running after effects in my laptop. I noticed how it was running laggy so I tried shutting it down to make it run smoother. After shutting it down I left it off for the rest of the night. The next day (Aug 17 around 10pm) I tried starting my laptop and it won’t turn on at all but is still charging.

Things I have tried that did not work:

1) Held the power button for 30+ secs while charging

2) Took off charging and waited about 30mins, then I tried to turn it on once and tried holding the button again

3) Took off the battery pack at the bottom, held the power button for 30secs, placed the battery pack back and tried turning it on again

4) Took off the battery pack at the bottom then held the power button for 30secs, plugged the laptop to charger without the battery pack and tried turning it on

5) Cleaned the dust in charging hole and battery pack area (basically cleaned my laptop)

At this point, I’ve seen people write that they just left it alone for 3-4 days and it worked again. So I’m probably gonna wait until I get an answer here

Might be a label on the unit's bottom showing model number etc. Knowing exactly which model it is will help others help you.

Thank you, I actually know what it is now, Asus rog GL552VW

i had the same problem and i couldn’t to fix that yet.

PC Laptop Batteries

An easy fix for a big power boost.

PC Laptop Batteries

An easy fix for a big power boost.

Most Helpful Answer

Hi @ericz1025 ,

@acervasio was talking about the CMOS battery not the main battery.

Here’s a link to a video that shows how to dis-assemble the laptop.

Here’s an image taken from the video that shows where the CMOS battery is and what it looks like.

After dis-assembling the laptop to a point where you can get to the CMOS battery (ensure that the main battery is also disconnected), disconnect the CMOS battery from the motherboard and then press and hold the Power button for 30 seconds to ensure that all residual power is drained from the motherboard and that the BIOS will be reset to its’ default settings.

Reconnect the CMOS battery and then re-assemble the laptop and check if the laptop now turns on.

(click on image to enlarge for better viewing)

If it still won’t start after this you may have a motherboard problem

This may be a long shot but I would try removing the cmos battery and letting the laptop sit for ~30 seconds, then put it back in. If that doesn’t work, try re-seating ram sticks one by one to see if one is at fault.

I Did the “removing the battery” one and it’s still won’t turn on at all

Eric Zhao will be eternally grateful.