Parts & Tools

Repair guides and disassembly information for Asus Republic of Gamers laptops.

My Asus laptop won’t power on/boot up at all after shutting it down

My Asus laptop (I think it’s gl rog something.. but I know it’s a gaming computer)(edit: it is Asus Rog GL552VW)

wont turn on after shutting it down. Right now, my laptop can still charge since the battery light turns on when I plug it in. Although, when I try to push the power button or hold for 30+ secs it won’t turn on.

This started at Aug 16 around 2am when I was running after effects in my laptop. I noticed how it was running laggy so I tried shutting it down to make it run smoother. After shutting it down I left it off for the rest of the night. The next day (Aug 17 around 10pm) I tried starting my laptop and it won’t turn on at all but is still charging.

Things I have tried that did not work:

1) Held the power button for 30+ secs while charging

2) Took off charging and waited about 30mins, then I tried to turn it on once and tried holding the button again

3) Took off the battery pack at the bottom, held the power button for 30secs, placed the battery pack back and tried turning it on again

4) Took off the battery pack at the bottom then held the power button for 30secs, plugged the laptop to charger without the battery pack and tried turning it on

5) Cleaned the dust in charging hole and battery pack area (basically cleaned my laptop)

At this point, I’ve seen people write that they just left it alone for 3-4 days and it worked again. So I’m probably gonna wait until I get an answer here

Might be a label on the unit's bottom showing model number etc. Knowing exactly which model it is will help others help you.

Thank you, I actually know what it is now, Asus rog GL552VW

i had the same problem and i couldn’t to fix that yet.

I have the same problem with my Asus gl753ve. I send it for repair they say the battery was broken. Got it back and it worked fine the first days. Now its dead again

Hi @tunguz ,

Did they give a guarantee on the repair?

Most reputable repair services give at least 30 days guarantee on their repairs.

Contact the repair service and tell them that the problem has not been fixed.

LCD iPhone Screen Fix Kits

The budget option, covered by our Lifetime Warranty.

Shop Kits

LCD iPhone Screen Fix Kits

Cut repair costs, not quality.

Shop Kits

Hi @ericz1025 ,

@acervasio was talking about the CMOS battery not the main battery.

Here’s a link to a video that shows how to dis-assemble the laptop.

Here’s an image taken from the video that shows where the CMOS battery is and what it looks like.

After dis-assembling the laptop to a point where you can get to the CMOS battery (ensure that the main battery is also disconnected), disconnect the CMOS battery from the motherboard and then press and hold the Power button for 30 seconds to ensure that all residual power is drained from the motherboard and that the BIOS will be reset to its’ default settings.

Reconnect the CMOS battery and then re-assemble the laptop and check if the laptop now turns on.

(click on image to enlarge for better viewing)

If it still won’t start after this you may have a motherboard problem

Thank you very much. Problem started half a year ago, with needing to hold power button for couple of minutes, or pressing other buttons with it to turn on computer. Today it just fell asleep and wasn't responding when I came back.

Your advice solved all this, thanks again (y)

This may be a long shot but I would try removing the cmos battery and letting the laptop sit for ~30 seconds, then put it back in. If that doesn’t work, try re-seating ram sticks one by one to see if one is at fault.

I Did the “removing the battery” one and it’s still won’t turn on at all

I had the identical issue with my ASUS X202E laptop. To speed the full shutdown, hold the off button down for about 40 seconds while disconnected from power. Next, cool the machine! I put mine outside on the deck for half an hour in a Vancouver December afternoon. Then, restart and immediately go to power management in settings and select the Microsoft Windows 10 recommendation for “Balanced” not the ASUS power settings. Since doing this, I have had no further issues.

I had same problem with my Asus s14 4300un. i tried many solutions, but did not work. in the end, i have to remove one of the ram, and the battery. after this, it works fine. but the problem now is if i put the battery back, the power button will not work again. so my solution now is to remove the battery all together. (i have to open the laptop to remove the battery.)

Eric Zhao will be eternally grateful.