My Sony Bravia TV (model KD-49XD8005) wont turn on after incident
Hi IFixit community
I have a 2.5 year old Sony Bravia 49 inch LED TV (KD-49XD8005) which wont turn on any longer. It happened after an incident when I was plugging an HDMI cable from my TV to my desktop computer. The TV was plugged in, and turned on. Without thinking about it, I tried to connect to my desktop and a few sparks jumped from my graphics cards HDMI port to the end of the HDMI from the TV as I plugged it in. Afterwards, the back-light was turned on, with no image and the status light was gone. So I used the remote to turn off the TV, and afterwards the TV will not turn on again. Right now, the TV shows no sign of any power (no indicator light, flicker, anything)
I have tried the following for troubleshooting:
- Unplugging all other devices/wires except for the power supply and try turning on
- Letting the AC power supply and TV “rest” separately for a week before trying to plug it in again and turning on
- Trying both only the power on button on the TV and/or only the remote
- Checking the AC power supply, which does supply the correct 19.5 volts, checking with my volt meter.
- Opening up the television, trying to check if any capacitors were bulged or if anything that looked like a fuse was blown using my volt meter, with no luck/anything seeming broken
My question is if anyone has experience with anything similar to my case or advice on how I could troubleshoot further? I was planning on sending it to a technician, although the ones in my area have horrible reviews (even the ones Sony is directing me to)
If anyone is interested in pictures of the boards, I will gladly supply them.
Thanks in advance
Pictures of boards and first measurements
Overview: (Yes there is a shield on the “bottom” board. Please write if anyone wants me to remove it and show the board. I imagine its related to the LED backlight
Board which receives DC power:
Data board with output/input:
Power brick measurement:
Measured the pins going to the main board and these values:
I have just repaired the TV - it was the main board which was the issue.
I replaced the board and booted using the correct firmware on a NTFS USB drive.
Is this a good question?