Canon EOS 7D

The Canon EOS 7D was Canon's first high end professional camera with an APS-C crop sensor.

won't turn on even though battery charged

Our Canon EOS 7D is about 6 months old. Can't get it to switch on - have fully charged the battery but it just flashes empty. Bought a second battery a couple of days ago and same thing. The CF door closed and the battery door closed, tried taking out the clock battery and resting for a few minutes, still nothing. tried with lens on and off, still nothing.

Any ideas?

WOw.. have the exact same problem.. also as If i should have posted this..

Trying to get copy of my receipt... will see firmware idea.. but if camera doesn't turn on can firmware still be updated?

by Luis

6 months old..? Claim your warranty then...

my canon is a older one just gave to me from friend wont turn ona2300 hd powershot

by Les Baggett

You may want to update your firmware. I had an issue much like this and they said that they had an update come out to fix this issue soon after the camera was released. You can find firmware updates on canons website.

How about acquiring the AC unit? Be sure you can get a refund if that doesn't do the trick. Perhaps the contacts are dirty. You can try a pencil eraser. This works well with Ram cards so it may solve your issue. Be sure to have an air compressor can to blow out any excess. There are also contact cleaners that quickly dry and clean contacts that may help. if you bought your camera on a credit card your warranty should be doubled as with most credit cards. As far as I know (i've done 3 already) camera needs to be "on" to do the firmware update. Try pulling out the CF card see if the camera turns on.

Wow – pulling out the CF card fixed it. I had not used my camera in a few months. When I went to turn it on it was dead. Of course, figured it was the battery. Charged both batteries fully and the camera wouldn't turn on. Bought a new battery, still didn't work. Found your comment, took up the CF card, and it is back up and running. Turns out the original batteries were fine. Thanks!

by jmpnjim

This is usually caused by a loose screw (one or more of the screws holding the DC to DC board on the bottom). They can end up anywhere and usually cause extensive circuit damage by shorting different parts of the camera. This is a Canon repair

As I said befoe, the flashing empty battery symbol and the ERR 40 on a 7D are usually caused by a screw that comes loose on the bottom board. As this board has the flash capacitor and its support circuitry you have over 300 volts available to be shorted into a six volt circuit which then fries.

by Technician X

I had the exact same problem, and the fix was easy. Try replacing the Date/Time Battery (it's a CR1616 lithium battery); it did the trick for me, everything got back to normal. See page 235 of your owner's manual for its location. Good luck!

Thanks, this worked!

by PETER DHANRAJ

Check the CF door micro-switch. That was the problem on my 7D when it refused to power up all of a sudden after 3 years of faithful services. Applying some pressure on the door from right to left on the upper part of the CF door might fix it.

Thanks, this fix the problem for me.

by Ladouce Mugisha

Thanks for the tip! To my amazement, I tried this technique (picture was very helpful) and my camera came back to life. It worked for awhile and then went down again. I tried this trick again and the small little tab broke off and the camera is still dead....any suggestions?

by BCallahan

It's probably the DC/DC board. The DC DC board is not at the bottom, it's at the top under the power button. Contrary to popular belief, the 7d is not weatherproofed AT ALL and moisture is able to squeak through the cracks in several places. I've replaced this board twice. If you decide to do it, it is not that hard but make sure you discharge the flash capacitor first (use a heavy duty resister NOT A SCREWDRIVER). Take a lot of pictures and use a cupcake pan to put the parts and screws. Sometimes when one of the other boards is bad, the DC board will go out again (it has fuses on it). The next logical one to replace is the flash capacitor board. Both are available cheaply.

Where is the fuse situated on DC-DC Board

by Amarjit Singh

I have a Canon 7 D that did error 40 i toked it apart and found that the flatcable going from Bottom PCB to mainboard was punched by the center screw. Got a new cable on ebay and now the camera works again but not the internal flash it gives error 50 . I thought that flash capacitor board was dead bought a new one but no difference.

Any ideas for the Error 50 .

by Lars

Thanks for the lithium battery tip, replacing it did the trick!

"Cheers to good health, glorious food and a return ticket (photograph) to a moment otherwise gone."

Bam Bridges "World Beaty and Fitness Pro"

Hi there! I'm having a kind of same behaviour! In my case it seems to be just when I insert the CF card. The camera turns on without the card but once I insert it, it won't turn on again. To power it up I need to remove the card, remove the battery, insert the battery and turn the camera on.

I already switched the time/date battery…

Any help please?

TIA

Emanuel Batalha

I have the same exact problem... could you fix it? can you tell me how? thank

by AXL

I tried everything I could to fix my canon 60d that just would not turn on. (I think it got wet or something) anyway the way I fixed it was that i read on a forum somewhere that you should toggle the ON and OFF switch like 100 times when the battery was out then when you put everything back in SLOWLY move it from OFF and ON until you see a sign of life. For me my camera turned on after many months of not working in between the OFF and ON button for a split second.. in that moment i knew i was gonna fix it! I turned the camera off again and keep toggling the ON and OFF button as fast as I could and every time I turned the camera on it was turning on closer to the actual on button. Eventually I had to secure that the ON button was being pushed to the side so the camera would remain on and after leaving it ON for a while it didnt need to be secured anymore and my camera was working! == Turn off camera, removed everything, toggle the ON and OFF button like crazy, put everything back in, slowly move the OFF button to ON and watch for signs of light, repeat several times until you do(for my it was the light from card holding that flashed orange once, nothing else was working) ==

Hi, the same problem, my 7D, fell down and does not turn on, the battery indicator flashes as if battery was empty. Removing the CF card or Lithium battery did not help.

Its the DC DC card inside that has losen from the contact.

The camera has to be taken apart and fit the card agan , and tihgten the 2 screws that holds the card. Its possible by your self f you are handy.

by Lars

More info on how to do it, where is the board situated, pics would be very welcome

by pedroaruba

sorry i dont have any pic s left but the DC DC are located under the top.

looking from back side its located to the right.

you have to remove front and back of camera and then remove the top.

there are some cables, take picures on evey thing,

I cant garanti that its that problem but if you drop the camera its very certain that the pcb has gone of the contact.

Here is a link to partslist.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/16hiopjn...

i Have a brandnew DC DC board if yours are deffect.

Regards

Lars

ps i am i Sweden

by Lars

Belinda will be eternally grateful.