Parts & Tools

Model A1989, EMC 3358. A refresh of the existing design, with updated processor options and a change to the keyboard materials. Available in Silver and Space Gray. Released in May 2019.

Uprgrading Storage of MacBook Pro 2019

Is it simpler/worth it to buy more storage from the beginning or is there a cheapest way to add storage?

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Most Helpful Answer

All of the newer MacBook Pro’s have soldered RAM & Flash storage as you can see here

The Green outlined area is the RAM

The Red outlined chips is the Flash with two more on the other side.

So no you can’t upgrade your RAM or Storage. All you can do is swap out your logic board with another one with more RAM and/or Storage. This would be a very expensive endeavor which I don’t recommend.

As your focus was storage I would look at external USB-C SSD drives to store your stuff if you already have your system. Otherwise you need to think how you are going to use your system and buy as large a storage option you can. Don’t forget the RAM side of the issue! As you didn’t tell us what your use is I can’t given you any directions on what you’ll likely need.

One last note: If you are into heavy video or music production you might want to wait a bit if you can. There are strong rumors Apple is expected to intro a 16.5” system this fall. While I don’t have direct knowledge there is a good chance this model will take a different direction going back to a more serviceable RAM & Storage.

There is no way to add storage internally to this machine, or any 2019 Macbook Pro. You have to anticipate your needs in advance because if you need more later, you’re stuck with an external solution or replacing the entire machine.

Matt Anonymous will be eternally grateful.