Model A1311 / Mid 2010 / 3.06 & 3.2 GHz Core i3 or 3.6 GHz Core i5 Processor

Do all screens on these iMacs turn yellow?

I want to replace the screen, but it seems they all turn yellow at some point …

My screen reference is LM215WF3 (SD)(A1)

I’ll try to fix it it, and if it fails, I’ll go for a SD B1. Big thanks from Belgium @oldturkey03 and @danj for those precious advices ! :)

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

Most Helpful Answer

They do! But not in the way you think!

The backlight LED’s over time burn the reflector frame they are held in (yellowing it). While not easy you can get to your backlight assembly and fix the issue placing a new foil reflector in.

Follow this guide iMac Intel 21.5" EMC 2389 Display Replacement

If you’re nervous on taking the display apart here’s the needed part iMac 21.5" LCD Display (11) Used - Apple P/N 661-5934, Display P/N LM215WF3 (SD)(C2) This is the newer version.

As far as taking the display apart the best I can offer is this drawing

There are no available parts and if you don’t damage anything you’ll be OK. Once you get the frame out you can mount a strip of Aluminum foil tape (metal flue/duct tape) replacing the cheap paper foil LG used and clean the LED’s with 85% Isopropyl alcohol.

@oldturkey03 - FYI: This is the newer version of the display LG - LM215WF3 (SD)(C2) it has the better backlight design.

Ok, but where can I get the parts ? Is there a tutorial ?

unless you already have a replacement I would consider using a LM215WF3(SD)(B1) instead. It has the same connections and the same connector. The output to the LED’s has changed and it’s a crisper display with less likelihood of yellowing. the datasheets for those panels are posted with the answer to this question Expert advice on using 2009 lcd on mid 2010 logic board

So I have to solder something ? I'm not an expert :(

No soldering etc. involved to replace the panel. That is a strict exchange. If you want to tear things apart it's a bit trickier but still doable. Problem will be finding the right replacement parts (reflectors) etc.

Bertrand Bourguignon will be eternally grateful.