Garmin Nuvi 200

The Garmin Nuvi 200 is part of Garmin's 200 series of GPS navigators. It was released in May of 2007. It comes with preloaded maps of the entire continental U.S., Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. It is available in classic silver or pink.

Disabling usb mass storage mode

Recently I plug my USB cable into my computer and now I cannot get USB mass storage mode off my garmin nuvi 200w

The information provided is from here and explains why it does that. "Garmin Mass Storage Mode devices no longer communicate with a computer with the Garmin Protocol but instead present themselves as a USB mass storage device. When a USB cable is connected between a Garmin Mass Storage Mode GPS device and a computer, the GPS device enters mass storage mode." so you could try the reboot by :

1) Disconnecting the nuvi from the charging cable.

2) Press and hold the battery meter icon for 8 seconds. This puts the nuvi into "system test" mode.

3) Plug in the power cable.

4) Click "Exit." The nuvi should now reboot, but remain in GPS mode!

The only other thing I can think of is that you might require a new cable, if this just came up. Good Luck and I hope this information helps.

Thank you much for this fix!!!! It worked!! Kathleen Marie

by Kathleen Marie Miller

you are very welcome ;-)

by oldturkey03

Thank you, oldturkey03. Save me $$$.

by Mark Koh

@Mark Koh, you are welcome.

by oldturkey03

worked by pressing and holding it for a few seconds- thank you

by Raja Kandanada

my usb cord is used as my charger the end that plugs in to the computer is plugged into a car charger adapter

In mass storage mode the Garmin will not charge and the unit switches off before the battery icon can appear. So, the thing is useless.The only treatment that makes any difference is to lay the unit on a smooth, hard surface in bright sunlight, switched on. After 15 seconds hit it with a sledgehammer and buy another make.

by Dennis Sward

My Nuvi 50LM will no longer enter mass storage mode. Multiple cables have been tried. Garmin support says there is no user fix and they have arranged for a replacement device to be sent.

I have 2450 that goes into mass storage each start-up. I do the battery hold into diagnostics, plug in the power cord, listen to the beep, then hit the power button until I get the message charging the battery. Hit cancel before the time limit and then all works well even if I remove & replace the power cord. When I start again I must repeat the process.

mona will be eternally grateful.