The long-awaited refresh of the popular Mac mini. Processor options include 3.6 GHz quad-core Intel Core i3, 3.0 GHz 6-core Intel Core i5, and 3.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7 processors.

Power button cable pinout for remote

Hey,

I would like to have my own power button as I can’t reach it where its located on the mini’s case.

Wake up on LAN is not what I want. On the older 2012 Mac Mini I just used the cable that went to the power button. Now its a ribbon cable, 6 pin I think, I can’t solder that.

Does anybody know what the unused connections on the power supply are good for. Can it be done with them?

projekt2501

Thanks.

What I did was:

I used the ribbon cable and unplugged it on button side (needed to unscrew that one screw in the metal and bend it back a bit, then force the cable out, it is sort of self locking and I am not sure if i can manage to get it back in there with tweezers, maybe yes maybe no, but i don’t need that button anyways).

As one can see on the connector side on the mainboard, three of the six lines are not connected to ground, there is a square on the motherboard. I used those lines on the other end of the cable, soldered a fine wire just onto the ribbon. I think i only hit two of the three contacts but it works fine. Now if I ground that cable it starts. Thanks Dan!

Didn’t want to solder on the mainboard. Now at least I have the chance to undo everything without it being noticed ;)

Most Helpful Answer

The ribbon connector is on the bottom side of the logic board. You’ll need to solder some fine wires onto the connectors solder joints once you’ve ID’ed which pads on the ribbon cable are the switch lines using an Ohm meter.

I recommend you mount the wires to the left, as the mounting post is just to right.

Be very careful! This is the only points you have access. You’ll need a very steady hand and very fine soldering iron so you don’t mess up the other joints. The power supply is not an option.

Frankly, as much as you don’t like the wake on LAN its the way Apple expects this system to be powered on remotely, Apple expects the system is left on 7x24. My own 2011 mini is either running or in sleep mode, rarely do I turn it off. Its also not easy to get to as well as it’s pushed into a back shelf of my media center with an external drive.

projekt2501 will be eternally grateful.