Samsung's flagship phone-with-stylus and the successor to the Note8, released August 2018. Features a 6.4" display and up to 512 GB of onboard storage.

Why does my phone go crazy with ear buds plugged in?

Lately when I have my ear buds plugged into my phone it starts randomly doing different functions. If it turns a certain way it will randomly start playing Spotify despite the app not even being open. If I'm on YouTube it'll randomly pause and play the video. Multiple times it'll pop up with the menu asking me what app I'd like to use to perform this function when I hadn't been trying to do anything. It only does this when the ear buds are in.

If its of any importance I have two small cracks on the side of my screen but that happened months ago before this problem occurred.

Omg I have the exact same problem on my redmi note 9.Google assistant starts going crazy when I plug in my headphones and spotify starts playing suddenly when I didnt even play it in the first place .And in youtube It suddenly pauses a couple of time.I dont know what to do.This phone has been giving problems lately.

That's a bunch of bull, I'm walking around with my ear phones plugged in and every 5 steps the &&^&@* wants to tell me what time it is, how do I stop this from happening?

Its doing the same to me with my phone. I will be on the phone and it freaks out and hangs it up i tried more then one pair also samething. It tells me the time and messes up anything i try to do. But my phone is a LG Stylo 6

Hi @popcornscavenge ,

Your phone may be suffering from ghost touching.

This could be related to the two small cracks in the screen which initially may not have been a problem but it may have gotten progressively worse.

Try starting the phone in safe mode to eliminate the remote possibility that it is a downloaded app that is the cause of the problem.

If it doesn’t occur when using the phone in safe mode, then a downloaded app is the cause of the problem. The trick is to find out which one.

The more likely problem is that it is a faulty touchscreen (digitizer). It cannot be repaired, it has to be replaced.

Thank you I'll give this a look! Luckily if I need to replace it its under warranty still :)

Actually I think the headphone jack is either corroded / liquid damaged, very dirty contacts or worn out inside. This would cause the phone to think the play button is being pressed on the earphones intermittently.

I would recommend cleaning the headphone jack. I do these by using isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab with some of the cotton removed to let it fit in the headphone jack and spin it a few times to clean. I start off with tweezers first carefully if there is dust.

That possibility had crossed my mind so I'll definitely try that c: thank you!

I'm pretty sure the problem lies in the headphone jack. I've had the same thing occur to me the past few weeks, whenever i plug in the headphones or earbuds my phone goes crazy, pressing random things and doing random functions. But I've noticed that it only does that with wired headphones, i have Bluetooth connectable ones and whenever i connect none of that happens. So my advice would be to check for any dirt in the headphone jack itself and clean it out with a cotton swab and if that doesn't help then possibly suggest buying wireless headphones or earbuds or bring the phone to a professional who can take a closer look at it.

courteney.loves.pie will be eternally grateful.