Tin can audio from replacement screen iPhone 6s

I replaced the screen on my iPhone 6s using an iFixit part and now the audio during phone calls is horrible. The audio rattles, there are high pitched artifacts. It sounds like a blown speaker. The screen installation went perfectly. No problems. I just followed the instructions and it all went smoothly. But now the audio sounds awful. What’s going on?

iPhone X Fix Kits

Warranty up? No worries, we’ve got the fix.

iPhone X Fix Kits

If the screen from iFixit was preassembled with the earpiece speaker preinstalled you can transfer the old one from the old screen to the replacement screen and that should do the trick.

I removed the replacement ear piece speaker module and used the original module and that fixed the problem. Thank you! I shouldn't have had to do that though. The one with the replacement screen should not have been bad. :(

In my experience, Tin Can Audio occurs when a front flex is partially damaged during removal. That little bugger is so friggin’ fragile, I feel like have to do have to superstitious things like play soothing music around the phone being repaired or I get Tin Can Audio, or an Ambient Light Sensor fails.

To resolve the issue, you can reseat the front flex and earpiece, that may help. If that doesn’t work, Ben’s suggestion is the next best solution.

I ended up using the original ear piece module. The flex cable appeared to be correctly seated and undamaged. I used a powerful magnifier lamp to examine it. The ambient light sensor and camera were working so I think that I had the connector right. I agree that it is a fiddly little thing though.

Bryant Bunderson will be eternally grateful.