7

clmcsc
85

What is the lock symbol with a circle/arrow around it?

Recently, a mysterious symbol appeared next to the battery symbol on my iPhone. It is a lock with an arrow circle around it. How do I get rid of it and what is it?

Seen at the top of the image here:

Edited by: Adam Hintz ( ) , Jake Devincenzi ( ) , rj713 and mayer ( )

15

A padlock with a circular arrow around it in the status bar at the top the screen means that the phone is locked to portrait mode and will not rotate to landscape mode. This can be turned on and off by double clicking home so that your open apps are displayed then swiping these icons to the right until your iPod controls appear, you should see an icon with a circular arrow. This icon locks your screen rotation. Good Luck and I hope this helps

UPDATE

I was asked to update this answer since with the advent of iOS 7 the method has been modified by something very similar. You now have to swipe up to bring up the control center, and then click the lock/unlock icon on the top-right of the menu to engage/disengage the screen lock. (Thank you Miro & iFixers :-)

Learn something new every day! :-) thanks

pollytintop,

perfect, thats it, click home button twice, swipe it to the right so it goes left last grey button on the left that looks just like the icon itself...THX

randbentertainmentusa,

You're right! I swiped once from left to right, and I saw the icon! Thanks so much. My little boogers are always messing with my phone!

heidirundle,

Thanks a lot for the help! found it... :) SPAM removed

phoebegayle,

what do you do on ipod 4g

loo,

1

Yanoret Salazar
13

Get rid of the lock by just sweep your finger from bottom to top. It's like a shortcut. It is the very last button from left to right.

FINALLY!!! LOL' thanks i tried the other way didn't work but when i swiped my phone from top to bottom i saw the airplane mode button, wifi, bluetooth, do no disturb button and then the icon with the lock n circle all on the top row. I pressed the icon with the lock and it came off! Yayyyy i love the internet! thx everyone!

tryen2makeit,

0

Jaydene
1

When your iPhone 5 is locked double click the home button, using your finger or thumb swipe from the bottom of the screen to the top of the screen, the control menu appears and you click on the icons to activate or deactivate them

This was the answer that worked for me, thank you so much for your help!!!

Alisa Fernandez,

0

chidie
1

Slide your finger from bottom of the screen to top of the screen fast. (Same way to access you flash light or camera now) and you'll see it on the top right corner of screen. Very easy to do.

I have an iPhone 4 and swiped from the bottom up and found it...i was trying the other way by swiping to the right after double clicking the home key and it was not working at all.

beedwar,

0

karin
1

for the iphone 4, which didn't seem to be addressed: go to settings. go to control center.swipe from bottom to top hard and fast. a gray screen comes up with that icon in upper right hand corner. tap it once and you're landscaping will no longer be locked!

Now that worked!!!! Tried all others...didnt work...thanks!!

dirtyjager,

0

Allen Rohn
1

Just swipe up from the bottom of your home page, then touch the rotate lock icon in the upper left corner. It's that simple! Someone should inform verizon associates because I went there and no one, not even the store manager knew how to fix the problem. Thanks oldturkey 03.

0

kameelahb
1

Thank you!!! I slid my finger from bottom to top and I saw the icon.

0

Jenn
1

Thank you so much for posting this!!!!! My 3 year old terrorizes my phone and it has been stuck with that stupid symbol forever driving me crazy!!!! Fixed it today with your help! Thank you!!!!

0

Pam
1

Thank Q soooo much for posting this article, the symbol appeared a few days ago and has been driving me mad I read your article and followed your instructions and hey presto

It's gone at last cheers

0

Kitty Lloyd
1

I have a 4s and this doesn't seem to be working ?

0

Douglas
1

If you have downloaded the new update on the iPhone, instead of double clicking, you have to use the shade. just swipe up from the home screen and you will see the lock in the upper right corner. Swiping down gives you the "DATE" screen and up will give you access to the shortcuts for camera, flashlight ect...

Sorry, right corner

Edited by: Douglas ( )

0

Liby Arche
1

yeah finally i found it! thank you so much!

thank u for it worked for me

Mani,

0

Ellie Jelly
1

I have an iPhone 4S and his appeared . If you unlock ur phone so it shows all ur app slide ur finger or thumb up from the Bottom of ur screen u will then see the symbol in white click it and it will deactivate it xx hope i helped x

0

MEEE
1

Thank you.....YOU lot are amazing and save everyone so much worry!

0

Diane B
1

Thank you for your answers. I love how EVERYTHING to do with my Iphone can be explained using this site. Have a lovely day everyone

0

lrsabo3rd
1

Thanks so much for the updated info. to wipe up to turn off the lock mode. So appreciated. I has been miffing me for weeks!

0

Ben
1

Double click on your iphone home button then swipe it from bottom to top you'll see the lock button on the top right corner. just turn it off.

0

Mani
1

thank u for the infor, it has really helped me...

Edited by: Mani ( )

This Week: 4,378

This Month: 6,391

All Time: 1,543,698