The long-awaited refresh of the popular Mac mini. Processor options include 3.6 GHz quad-core Intel Core i3, 3.0 GHz 6-core Intel Core i5, and 3.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7 processors.

Broke the socket off logic board that fan attaches to. Fixable?

Was upgrading Mac Mini 2018 RAM and accidentally pulled the fan connector “socket” off the logic board! Looks like it may been attached with some kind of adhesive at Apple.

Is this fixable? I hope I didn’t just turn my brand new Mini into a paperweight!

Any help appreciated!!

Can you post a few pics showing the damage Adding images to an existing question

Sure. Photo has been attached.

@cw2 - You're lucky too! The pads are still intact on the logic board. You'll need to find someone with the needed tools and skills to solder it back on.

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

FIXED!

Took my Mac Mini to the Apple Store, and they said the only fix they could do was to replace the entire Logic Board. They said since I “just bought the computer” they would replace it for FREE! Even though, I was the one who broke it doing a memory upgrade!!

GREAT customer support from Apple on this one!!

Most Helpful Answer

It is fixable only through Micro Soldering

Thanks. Micro Soldering is above my level of expertise, so I guess I will have to see if an Apple tech can repair it, or if I need to just order a new one with the 32 Gb of RAM and end up paying $3600 (including the original one I broke) for a new Mac Mini! Lesson learned: Never try these upgrades at Midnight. And if you feel a little uneasy about your skills for an upgrade, trust your instincts.

I am happy to hear others are having better luck than I did, however.

You''ll need to find an independent Apple person, Apple or its authorized service partners won't touch it either ;-{

I had the same problem. I was able to solder it back on with a regular soldering iron and a soldering iron stand with magnifying glass. It took me about an hour with multi tries to do it though. I'm writing this on the upgraded Mac Mini with 32Gb of RAM.

Here's someone else who facing the same issue: The connect point of WIFI antenna was broken during tear down. Depending on your damage you might be as lucky.

Cheryl will be eternally grateful.