The first generation (KJ) Jeep Liberty, a compact 4-door SUV. Sold in both 2WD and 4WD configurations.

Transmission shift cable removal

Working on a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7 liter 4x4.

I believe the shift cable is either stuck or broken somewhere because it will not allow me to change gears. I tried moving the cable by hand inside the vehicle and it won’t budge. I try to move shifter and it will move but the the metal part inside cable isn’t moving. I got under the vehicle and can move the shift lever by hand and the metal part inside the cable is moving but it won’t move at the shifter

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

Most Helpful Answer

@bejm1 see if this helps

GEARSHIFT CABLE

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

GEARSHIFT CABLE

(1) The floor shifter lever and gate positions should be in alignment with all transmission PARK, NEUTRAL, and gear detent positions.

(2) Engine starts must be possible with floor shift lever in PARK or NEUTRAL gate positions only. Engine starts must not be possible in any other gear position.

(3) With floor shift lever handle push-button not depressed and lever in:

(a) PARK position - Apply forward force on center of handle and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.

(b) PARK position - Apply rearward force on center of handle and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.

(c) NEUTRAL position - Normal position. Engine starts must be possible.

(d) NEUTRAL position - Engine running and brakes applied, apply forward force on center of shift handle. Transmission shall not be able to shift from NEUTRAL to REVERSE.

REMOVAL

(1) Shift transmission into PARK.

(2) Raise vehicle.

(3) Remove the shift cable eyelet from the transmission manual shift lever (Fig. 159).

(4) Remove shift cable from the cable support bracket.

(5) Lower vehicle.

(6) Remove necessary console parts for access to shift lever assembly and shift cable. (Refer to 23 -

BODY/INTERIOR/FLOOR CONSOLE - REMOVAL)

(7) Disconnect cable at shift lever and shifter assembly bracket (Fig. 160).

(8) Remove the nuts holding the shift cable seal plate to the floor pan (Fig. 161).

(9) Pull cable through floor panel opening.

(10) Remove shift cable from vehicle.

Thank you for the reply but the gear shifter will not move into any gear im assuming because cable is stuck or something. My other problem is trying to get cable off of shift lever and out of bracket at transmission. I tried prying it off of the lever but its not working. Not sure how it comes out of the bracket

I think I have the same problem on my friend’s 03 Jeep Liberty Sport, jeep (and lever?) stuck in reverse. These pictures should be more than enough to help me. Thank you. Plastic bushings available Dorman part # 14055.

bejm1 will be eternally grateful.