Repair guides and support for LED, LCD, HD and other Vizio TVs.

Vizio m55-D0 dark corner - Backlight?

Hello! I have a Vizio smartcast m55-D0 television. Bought it 2 years ago and randomly this dark rectangular area appeared in the bottom left corner of the display. No other issues. I’ve tried power cycling it, changing HDMI cables, firmware updates, etc.

There’s limited info out there about this specific issue with this specific model of TV but it seems like it may be a backlight failure. I see led replacement strips sold online but I just want to be sure this is the problem (and find the correct part) before forking over the cash and spending the time to fix it, as it seems to be a pain to do. Could it also be a power supply issue or something else?

Thank you for any help!

I have Vizio m65-d0 with the same issue. Commenting here to follow the thread. Will update if I find any info.

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

Most Helpful Answer

@danielme

this looks odd for a backlight strip failure. Possible, but odd. Check the power board and measure the voltages on the LED output. See if they are all the same. If so it could be your backlight strip. If not then I would consider a new power supply first. Check all of your cables as well since Vizio has issues with bad solder connections on the cable connectors.

Thanks for the response! I really appreciate it. Any links you can shoot me that might shed some light on how to check the power board and where to look out for the bad solder connections?

Vizio uses a hodgepodge of parts. If you can post some images of your boards I can try and get you the schematic or at least point out where/what possibly to check. Use this guide to add pictures to your original question Adding images to an existing question

Daniel will be eternally grateful.