Model A1286. Released February 2011 / 2.0, 2.2, or 2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 Processor

Blue screen with vertical black lines after Apple icon startup

Hi

My MacBook Pro seems to boot past the Apple icon and progress bar at startup but then the screen goes blue with black vertical strips.

Booting in single user mode seems to say that it can’t read the hard disk but I have created an El Capitian bootable usb installer which has the same issue and have tried a different drive internally.

I ran a full Apple Diagnostic but this didn’t find any issues.

I have previously attempted to disable the AMD graphics card via Linux which was working fine.

Please can someone suggest the cause of this issue?

David

What happens when you go into Target Disk Mode? Does the screen look OK then? Restart the system and hold the T key.

Reference: Mac startup key combinations

I’ve just tried target disk mode it works fine. The screen worked and the drive mounted on the connected computer

Most Helpful Answer

Sadly, your dedicated GPU has failed. Running the system under Target Disk Mode only uses the internal Intel CPU HD Graphics engine. There’s really nothing you can do to fix this all you can do is disable the dedicated AMD Radeon HD 6490M GPU.

Keep in mind the HD Graphics engine is very limited in performance so you’ll need to limit your usage to low graphics types of apps (no gaming). Here’s how to disable it under MacOS dosdude1 - Disable MacBook Pro Dedicated GPU

I would look at finding a 2012 MacBook Pro which has a better GPU sub system.

Given the systems age, I recommend you do a full cleaning of the dust built-up as well as cleaning the old thermal paste off and applying a fresh coat.

David Jennings will be eternally grateful.