1

Harry
13

wifi range very poor after disassembley

Basically i changed my iphone to a white one using one of the kits that are available on ebay, When i finished the install my iphone's wifi wouldn't pick up anything unless it's within 2Ms of the source of the wifi. After a while i took the iphone apart again as the light sensor wasn't working and when i put it back together the wifi was back to normal, I had to take it apart again to replace the home button as it got jammed and now i'm back to the same where the wifi range is extremley poor. What could be the problem?

4

pollytintop

harry there are plenty of people in the same boat.. it would seem the culprit is a screw!

*The answer is one of the screws that screw the logic board to the metal body of the iPhone. In our case it is the one near the camera or the one below below the inner antenna connector, this is most probable but who knows). The screw grounds the board with the antenna!!*

Armald Imeraj, Dec 7 2010 @ 10:47 AM

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/38247...

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/50484...

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/51496...

do we know the exact screw?

Harry,

4

Chavdar Sirakov

Losing the metal clips marked in green is top reason for abnormal Wi-Fi operation after reassembly.

Here are two images, which I shot, that better depict the cause of the issue. Once you lose that piece, you have no option but to order a replacement cover.

In case they don't here, here's an external link.

1

Anthony Rose
13

I run a company called fixmyiphone and we run into this problem sometimes after taking an iPhone 4 apart. This problem occurs when you touch the wifi cable next to the loud speaker unit (at the bottom of the iPhone). We have found the best way to fix this is to replace the wifi cable, this will sort all your wifi problems out.

Anthony

0

ben
1

not an answer just a big thanks this has been bugging me for ages now. THANKS......

0

Manuel Mata
1

That little piece makes a huge difference, wow!

0

rx3864
1

My screw and metal ring are there on the wifi panel, but the wifi range remains to be very very weak. Does anyone have other suggestions?

0

ygal
1

works 100 % thanks for the hint

0

Hakisack33
1

Im having the same problem, but im missing a screw near the camera. Is it possible to buy a screw set for the iphone 4??