freerefil, this works!
The separator between the 2 sensors is the only thing that has actually worked. The key is for it to be thick, like you said. Thick enough to have it press back against the front LCD.
Proximity Sensor Fixed!:
- Date: 8-31-12 - 3:30 AM EDT
- How: 3 layers of foam making a divider between the ALS (Ambient Light Sensor - left) and PS (Proximity Sensor - right). If using electrical tape, you probably need more.
It needs to be THICKER than what it shown in this picture - http://www.beijingiphonerepair.com/wp-co...
It needs to show that it presses back a little bit when you put the LCD on (before screwing it on)
- Specifically what I used: (in case any details matters. I dont think so, as I believe its only the thickness of the center divider that matters)
Got this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/271022014327?ssP...
(these can also be found elsewhere like there - http://pacifictoy.com/index.php?dispatch...)
1. Cut a piece on the side the form a strip, just slightly longer than the center area btwn the sensors. Placed that in the center
2. Used one of these cut out / stickers and placed that on top
3. Cut another piece like from step 1, and placed that on top.
This was the right amount of thickness, and now my proximity sensor work from like 1 inch away :D
I have tried EVERY SOLUTION under the Sun, on every forum. This is the ONLY thing that actually worked.
- Sharpie (multiple layers)
- Blocking the sensors
- Foam / electrical tape around the sensors
- Tape w/ sharpie
- Replacing the prox sensor (done at a repair shop)
- Different LCD
- I even ordered that little "proximity sensor lens" screen thing
- Even tried this ALS jailbreak app to adjust the ALS (Ambient Light Sensor)
NONE of them worked.
I got a very very very subtle working (but not good enough) when surrounding it with the black foam. But that is because it was like a small divider (but too small to take effect).
And with Dialer-Shield not updated for iOS 5, I have been struggling with this for a while since I had to replace my LCD (after hitting a parking lot face down)
I dont know why the foam divider is needed, and why it has to be thick, but perhaps you are right - the sensors are confusing each other.
I dont think it is the backlight though from the LCD. I have Dimmer (a jailbreak app), and I an almost fully turn the backlight down so low that the screen looks off - and yet the prox sensor still failed to function. I think it may be how one of them (or both works) - possible some kind of IR? (idk I am not an electrical engineer), and due to that signal, one of them was seeing it and saying "no, not turning off the screen, because the darkness condition has not been met (even if pitch black). So my theory is the separate is truly keeping them separate. I’m not sure why or even how the signal was reflecting, but however they were built to work by Apple, they were meant to be separated (would have probably been better if physically separated by more distance, so this crap doesn't happen to people).
So I must say THANK YOU for this. You saved my sanity and my phone. I really do appreciate it.
Everyone with a broken proximity sensor, needs to try this.