Model A1419 / EMC 2806 / Late 2014 or Mid 2015. 3.3 or 3.5 GHz Core i5 or 4.0 GHz Core i7 (ID iMac15,1); EMC 2834 late 2015 / 3.3 or 3.5 GHz Core i5 or 4.0 GHz Core i7 (iMac17,1) All with Retina 5K displays

Best iMac screen adhesive (on a roll)

I have a small computer repair shop, and install a lot of SSDs in iMacs. A year or so ago I searched for an alternative to iFixit adhesive strip kits, because they are quite expensive. I ended up buying this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3pcs-Dou...

This went well, until today: a customer called me saying their iMac screen fell off. I had installed the screen just a month ago. It cracked falling out, and of course I’ll be paying for the replacement.

So now I’m looking for an alternative adhesive. Preferably a large roll of the exact adhesive Apple uses, but barring that, a not crazy priced roll of tape that will reliably hold the heavy (and expensive) iMac screens in place. People who open up several iMacs per day - what do you use?

If somebody finds this via Google, I found the original Apple adhesive strips. They’re packaged in bundles of 20, and are even cheaper than the iFixit ones:

http://applecomponents.com - LCD Service refill kit with tool, iMac 21.5 4K 2017

The part numbers are:

076-00331

076-00009

They can also be found on eBay.

iPhone X Fix Kits

Warranty up? No worries, we’ve got the fix.

iPhone X Fix Kits

This is not the cheaper option, but you can buy this adhesive here that iFixit dedicates to iMacs. Probably the best and strongest option but not the cheapest. (not really what you asked for but just throwing this option out there)

iMac Intel 27" (2012-2017) Adhesive Strips

The less expensive, but more risky option is Tesa tape. You can buy reasonably sized rolls and you can choose the thickness of it too.

Tesa 61395 Tape

iMac Intel 27" (2012-2017) Adhesive Strips Image

Product

$19.99

Tesa 61395 Tape Image

Product

Tesa 61395 Tape

$5.99

Thank you for the fast reply. The Tesa tape is interesting. Do you, or anybody else here, have experience using it on iMacs?

I have used it to seal up my iMac Pro after a RAM upgrade. It still holds strong to this day! It’s a great adhesive that works for phones too.

The iMac stripes are better!

I love Tesa tape as well but the construction of the tape makes taking apart the system later on much harder!

This gets into design of the core of the tape. The strips use a cell foam which the cutter can separate whereas the Tessa has a thin mylar core so there is no place for the cutter to split the tape to open the system.

@danj Agreed. The only reason why I “Tesa-Taped" my iMac Pro together is that I knew I wouldn't be opening that thing again. Otherwise I would have gotten the iMac adhesive strips.

It would be great to find a by-the-roll source material of these expensive pre-cut iMac foam strips. Any leads?

I too have been worried about the screen falling off if the adhesive strips turn out to be low-quality. So I took the precaution of internally using a cable tie coupled with two adhesive-backed cable tie-downs (like what you would use to fix Ethernet to a skirting board) so that if the screen should become detached, it can only fall forward maybe two inches before being restrained by the cable tie (http://macs2u.co.uk/imac-screen-restrain...). Hope that idea is useful to folk, could save serious embarrassment and expenditure.

The trick is to fully clean the old adhesive off I use Goof Off and afterwards I go over the surface again with reagent grade Isopropyl alcohol 85% or better as Rubbing alcohol and lower grades often have impurities which mess up the tapes adhesion.

iphone3ghulp will be eternally grateful.