Model A1419 / EMC 2806 / Late 2014 or Mid 2015. 3.3 or 3.5 GHz Core i5 or 4.0 GHz Core i7 (ID iMac15,1); EMC 2834 late 2015 / 3.3 or 3.5 GHz Core i5 or 4.0 GHz Core i7 (iMac17,1) All with Retina 5K displays

Best iMac screen adhesive (on a roll)

I have a small computer repair shop, and install a lot of SSDs in iMacs. A year or so ago I searched for an alternative to iFixit adhesive strip kits, because they are quite expensive. I ended up buying this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3pcs-Dou...

This went well, until today: a customer called me saying their iMac screen fell off. I had installed the screen just a month ago. It cracked falling out, and of course I’ll be paying for the replacement.

So now I’m looking for an alternative adhesive. Preferably a large roll of the exact adhesive Apple uses, but barring that, a not crazy priced roll of tape that will reliably hold the heavy (and expensive) iMac screens in place. People who open up several iMacs per day - what do you use?

If somebody finds this via Google, I found the original Apple adhesive strips. They’re packaged in bundles of 20, and are even cheaper than the iFixit ones:

http://applecomponents.com - LCD Service refill kit with tool, iMac 21.5 4K 2017

The part numbers are:

076-00331

076-00009

They can also be found on eBay.

Only thing which i 've been using from the day first is gorilla double tape and its working well 0 issues so far but the problem is i have to slice it in half because its too wide its the real deal i dont even trust all these adhesives online who knows who makes it and for how old will it hold and i also use a little bit of black duct tape for first month and let my customers know peel it off after a month

@Ye Awargi Interesting about the black duct tape... this last time I used black painters tape as I don't trust the adhesive as much by itself.

Have you ever had to open an iMac again after using the gorilla tape, for what ever reason? Is it difficult to separate before the tear down?

Re: comment, 12/09/2019 by Ye Awargi

Gorilla Double Tape., Yes

I've just used Gorilla Double tape, and the label recommend'd to apply to surface area at least 10 Degrees Celcius to activate the glue.

Awsome, 1st fit was out of alignment, had to reheat the tape to remove the screen as it wouldn't let it go..... then re-apply new tape and refit..

Brilliant suggestion by Ye Awargi

This is not the cheaper option, but you can buy this adhesive here that iFixit dedicates to iMacs. Probably the best and strongest option but not the cheapest. (not really what you asked for but just throwing this option out there)

[linked product missing or disabled: IF174-005-1]

The less expensive, but more risky option is Tesa tape. You can buy reasonably sized rolls and you can choose the thickness of it too.

Tesa 61395 Tape

Tesa 61395 Tape Image

Product

Tesa 61395 Tape

$5.99

Thank you for the fast reply. The Tesa tape is interesting. Do you, or anybody else here, have experience using it on iMacs?

I have used it to seal up my iMac Pro after a RAM upgrade. It still holds strong to this day! It’s a great adhesive that works for phones too.

The iMac stripes are better!

I love Tesa tape as well but the construction of the tape makes taking apart the system later on much harder!

This gets into design of the core of the tape. The strips use a cell foam which the cutter can separate whereas the Tessa has a thin mylar core so there is no place for the cutter to split the tape to open the system.

@danj Agreed. The only reason why I “Tesa-Taped" my iMac Pro together is that I knew I wouldn't be opening that thing again. Otherwise I would have gotten the iMac adhesive strips.

It would be great to find a by-the-roll source material of these expensive pre-cut iMac foam strips. Any leads?

I too have been worried about the screen falling off if the adhesive strips turn out to be low-quality. So I took the precaution of internally using a cable tie coupled with two adhesive-backed cable tie-downs (like what you would use to fix Ethernet to a skirting board) so that if the screen should become detached, it can only fall forward maybe two inches before being restrained by the cable tie (http://macs2u.co.uk/imac-screen-restrain...). Hope that idea is useful to folk, could save serious embarrassment and expenditure.

The trick is to fully clean the old adhesive off I use Goof Off and afterwards I go over the surface again with reagent grade Isopropyl alcohol 85% or better as Rubbing alcohol and lower grades often have impurities which mess up the tapes adhesion.

@danj Have you ever had any failures using this method? And if not what was your adhesive kit source? I'm very nervous about replacing my display after an adhesive failure. Although I did a thorough cleaning before, I didn't use the method like you're suggesting, but I now have some Goo Gone and 99% Iso Alcohol--my new kit from iFixit, old was OWC. My failure took place after 7 months with fairly significant temperature changes from basement setting in winter to 2nd floor room in the dead heat of summer (so I'm not really sure why the failure occurred).

Hi all - old thread I know, I was hoping someone notices the post :-)

There are some double sided alternatives I can buy, 3M and Tesa. Does anyone know the meat thickness of the “official” self adhesive strips used for iMacs? Would 1 mm thickness be OK?

The reason I am asking is, Tesa’s 0.25 mm thickness band did not give a great result after SSD upgrade. there is some play on the top section of where the display meets the iMac chassis.

Thanks to anyone for the answer about the meat thickness of the self-adhesive strips (you know the labeled ones cut to the shape of iMac screen).

PS. Further research indicates “VHB strips are a very thin layer of foam between two self adhesive plastic strips.” - That explains the play I am experiencing - I used a thin, transparent double-sided Tesa tape, almost like scotch band, which does not have the foam sandwiched in between. OK, search continues for VHB type but as thin as possible :-)

PSS. 3M 5952 is 1.1mm and 5925 is 0.64mm. Will probably go with 5925 if I can find it locally.

Hi, after some research it seems like this tape is the best bet. Did you go with 5952 or 5925 in the end, and what was the result? If I had to guess I'd also say that 1.1mm is a bit too thick. Does it seem good? By any chance did you try to take the screen off after using the tape and how did that go? Because that is important too :)

This is a complicated subject because if the tape is no good the screen might only fall off after 6 months...

UPDATE: Stopped using this, as it took me like half an hour to remove it in a test. Which makes it not that useful for me... also in the end I wouldn't have saved that much money using this as really a set of these adhesives is like 1-2m anyway.

@ spacec0w, did you find any suitable alternative? I've replace 100-200 SSD's in iMac's and I'm now working on my second screen removal to fix an issue after one of these SSD upgrades and it has taken me about 8 hours to remove the screen bonding tape you see for sale on ebay, now I'm searching for a suitable adhesive that can be removed easily.

Would love to know if you found something that is better or if there is an apple approved bonding tape.

DO NOT USE TESA TAPE!!! FAILED FOR ME. USE THIS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HLY...

Let’s all take a step back here and look at what we’re typing … screens held together with glue. Apple portrays to be this green company yet they can’t out some screws in the products so people can keep them going for longer… that’s not green it’s greed.

They’re not held together with glue, but with a thin replaceable adhesive film. Suggest doing homework.

Cero will be eternally grateful.