The Kenmore Elite HE3 is a washing machine by Kenmore.

Cycle light flashes, but machine wont start

Whatever cycle I choose, the light just flashes and holding the start button does nothing. I've unplugged it for 5 minutes to try to re start it but that didn't work.

When we push a button, all the lights for that cycle flash quickly (faster than normal). We were already aware of that black pin and had replaced it several years ago. It seems to be properly aligned. Any other ideas?

It worked perfect for me. I found a small broken black piece on the floor. I slowly put it back in and closed the door. It then started. How do i replace the broken bkack pin? I'm assuming part of broken piece is stuck inside.

Hi, a key picture has appeared on the screen and jammed the other buttons. it has stopped the washing machine from working. i don't know how to fix it. The model is " jorenje". Any idea? Thanks.

We have no black pin at 2 o'clock. We have no pins at all. Front load machine. We have a door pin white double clip at 3 o'clock but nothing is wrong with it. Looks fine- both prongs are there.

Anyone know how to fix? it is a sear kenmore front loader

UPDATE: The board was gone on my machine- I called and had a repairman come- he had to replace to the board.

The problem might be that the black pin (about 3/8" long and 1/8" in diameter), that normally sticks out of the frame of the washer at about the 2 o'clock position, and which is pushed in when the door closes, has broken off. If this pin breaks off, the washer will not recognize that the door has been closed. In my opinion, the pin is most likely to break when you close the door and the door was not properly aligned with the door frame -- in which case the pin will be sheared off.

Thanks! That was the problem and I managed to fix it:)

Great, glad you got the problem solved.

My problem was not the pin...that was the 1st thing I checked. I unplugged it then plugged it back in and WA-LA...works. :)

thanks it was that pin at 200 oclock

I don't seem to have a black pin....the normal wash button just keeps flashing and won't let me start or choose another type of cycle. It is a Kenmore Elite Ultra Wash dishwasher.

I took a metric machine screw about 1/4 in long and about the same diameter and stuck it in the pin hole. I plan to epoxy it in for a permanent fix. Using a cheap, too small diameter plastic instead of metal pin is just cheap engineering.

My matching HE3 dryer wouldn't start and it was a bad thermistor. Cut that out and soldered in a solid wire. Permanent fix for both machines.

As Charles F. Kettering, past president and engineer at GM said: "Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems".

Stan Sexton you should show us how to do this on a video on youtube!!

My black pin was not the problem. I solved the problem using a short #20 metric bit from my screw driving bit set and I tightened all the screws in the washer's door, the door latch and the hinge. Then, I unplugged the washer and plugged it in. It restarted on the second try. Thanks for your help.

i have the same problem.. i took the clip off for the door and was wondering where do u find a new one.. it is broken on the bottom half of the clip where the screw goes would that cause the light to flash????

The Door Switch Assembly is available here http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/D... and the strike is here http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/S...

Thanks for the link oldturkey03. But what a scam. $65 for the assembly... seriously? Its a mechanical limit switch, nothing more. This problem is ripe for a simple fix, probably with a 45 cent nylon screw from the local hardware store, some epoxy and a little ingenuity.

My black pin is broken off too. Someone recomend I fix it with sticking a piece in there with duct tape. It works but have to readjest the pin every single load, sometimes several times, just to get it to work, so it is not a reasonable long term option. Any idea what that black pins part number is so I can order on and replace it?

How do you replace that small 3/8" x 1/8" pin? I believe that Mayer referred to in the accepted answer. Mine broke off recently and I found it before it could roll under the washer or dryer.

mine is also the pin. Where do I buy a replacement piece? I used pipe cleaner and duct tape to get mine working again.

In my case the pin is ok, not broken I checked it out, the cycle light is flashing on whatever cycle I choose but machine won't start, it has happened yesterday. I also unplug it from power outlet for more then 5 mins, it was unplug over night. any sugestion please.

the door plate itself is fine on our machine.

Need to test the switches and other electronic components, but the door plate is definitely not the root cause of our issue.

Continue looking on:

https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/...

for additional options and ideas.

We have no black pin= wish we could add pictures here. My pause/Cancel keeps flashing all four lights on my sears kenmore front load washer and just won't start. I have unplugged to reset it- sometimes that works and sometimes that does not but I have to climb on top of the washer each time to get behind it to the plug which is not in an easy place to reach.

We have no black pin- we have no pin at all. We have a door clip in the inside right of the door at 3 oclock- it's white and nothing wrong with them.

Anyone have a clue how to fix this? What is the cause?

Washer won't start. I have to unplug & plug it back in at least 3x's and see a spark in the outlet for it to come on? Any ideas on what the problem could be?

That may be a short. Look for burned or blacken wires or spots ob the circuit board.

Leah will be eternally grateful.