Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

Black horizontal line; 'crack' under glass (?)

Two issues:

1. black horizontal line across screen. Started as a small line, then spread across screen. About as thick as a pencil line.

2. Very very faint very thin (white) curved line from bottom of screen to left side of screen. At first you think its a crack in the glass, but it's not. The curved line is under the glass. Very hard to see, only appears when screen is black. It's even thinner than human hairs strand. FYI..this appears about a month before the black line.

Everything else works fine.

Sure sounds like a bad LCD. You could try a Hard Reset, hold together Home and Power buttons for about 15 seconds until iPhone restarts. If still bad. Then with any repairs you try on your 3GS make sure it is OFF. You could try to carefully reseat the LCD Flex Cable #1. If still bad you may need a new LCD. Hopefully it won't be a Logic Board problem.

Brad...thanks for your answer. Unfortunately the Hard Reset didn't work. I could see how reseating cable #1 might fix the black line, but do you think it would also fix the crack-like image. If the LCD can be cracked, maybe this is what I am seeing?

i think brad is spot on here.. sounds like a cracked LCD not a flex problem.

Pollytintop....thanks for your reply. I am going to take the iPhone to local repair shop. I'll report back.

Well, the local shop replaced the LCD and the black line went away! But two days later the glass became unresponsive to my finger taps at various areas of the glass. I took it back to the shop and they tried three new glass covers and none of them fixed the new problem.

I think it's too much of a coincidence for one problem to start right after the other, so I think the shop did some sort of damage to a cable or something.

I went ahead and bought an iPhone 4, to replace the busted 3GS.

Thanks for everyone's responses!

Scott will be eternally grateful.