Guides and support for various TV brands and styles.

Hitachi Plasma TV 42PD9500TA - Not turning on

Need help getting my Hitachi Plasma TV running again. Currently when plugged in the standby light is red (as normal). When the power button is pushed the light changes to green and the TV sounds like it is turning on, but after 1-2 seconds the green light changes back to red and the TV sounds like it is turning off. Nothing appears on screen during this time.

TV model is 42PD9500TA. Any help much appreciated!

Photos added of back, hopefully helps with reviewing current status:

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

Most Helpful Answer

@csew004 start off by checking your TV with the PDP panel self-diagnosis function

This function is for a PDP panel failure with no picture.

To enter to this Self-Diagnosis mode, follow the next steps:

Preparation:

1) The Power Cord should be connected to AC line and the Main Power switch should be turned on.

2) Turn the power off by the SUB-POWER button of the monitor or the remote control.

Procedure:

1) Press the SUB-POWER button and ▼ button on the bottom of the monitor at the same time, and keep it for more than 5 seconds after the power turned on.

2) It generates red blinking series of the power indicator light.

3) Any operation would cancel the Self -Diagnosis mode.

4) The next table shows the PDP PWB in which failure most probably would be allocated according to the number of blinks.

Number of red blinks of power indication light ==> Presumed failing PWB of PDP panel

1==> Logic

2==> X-SUS

3==> Y-SUS, SDM SDM: Scan Driver Module

4==> X-SUS, Y-SUS, SDM, PSU PSU: Power Supply Unit

5==> ABUS, ADM, PSU ADM: Address Driver Module

6==> ADM temperature

7==> ADM temperature

8==> All of above-mentioned PWB’s

Let us know what you get with the test

Time to open up your TV and start with some basic testing.

While you are working on your TV, take some good pictures of your boards etc. Post those with your question. Use this guide Adding images to an existing question for that. It will allow us to see what you see.

Let us know what you find.

Hi, tried to follow these instructions but same result as before, sounds like it will turn on but then turns off. Unable to enter the self diagnosis function. I pushed the power on/off button at the same time as (down arrow) button, trying this on monitor and remote. Unsure if sub power button is different from power button? Not familiar with a sub power button.

same button ;-)

this sounds like a power board issue.

Hi, I've added some photos of the back of the TV, if you can help that would be much appreciated!

@csew004

have you measured the voltages as outlined in the diagram

Since this shuts down this quickly, there is a power problem detected and the set enters safety shutdown. Since this set is likely over 5 years old, I would open it up and take a look at the power board. I have seen many plasma sets that fail in this manner due to defective capacitors on the power supply board. These have deteriorated over time, but finally failed enough to cause this problem. If you area unsure, open up the back and take some photos of the boards and post them here. We'll take a look and perhaps point out the bad parts.

Dan

Photos added to original question, any help much appreciated!

I have a HD 1080 Hitachi TV,it worked fine last week the lower left side a red light kept blinking,I turn the TV on ot stays on for about a second shuts off,I've unplugged it every thing,What is wrong or is it just junk now? It is about 10 years old,but has a beautiful picture and sound.Thsnk you

Chris will be eternally grateful.