Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

iPhone 7 NFC(Apple Pay) not working after battery replacement

I recently changed my iPhone 7 battery with ifixit replacement battery that is being sold in the store, and NFC (Apple Pay) doesn’t work on any terminal ever since the replacement. Everything else works totally fine with my phone with better battery life but I cannot use Apple Pay to pay at any store or vending machine. What should I do to fix this?

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

Most Helpful Answer

Sounds like the NFC tag at the back of the phone housing got damaged during the battery replacement.

As far as I know this is located between the metal housing and the backglass meaning it would require changing the housing to fix this if it's damaged. It could be something as simple as a loose connection for NFC cable but I could be wrong.

Could also be the NFC bracket near the RCAM. Perhaps the OP removed that screw as well when removing the bracket.

Thank you for the comment. What do you mean by the OP?

I replaced my screen on an iPhone 7 and afterwards apple pay would not work (I got no response from the phone when I held it up to a contactless payment terminal). I tried another screen with no luck and thought I had damaged something. But when I tried yet another screen I noticed something in the repair process.

At the top right of the phone ( when you are looking at it from the front but with the screen removed) there is a connector for the front facing camera. This connector has a small metal plate over it to keep the connector in place. This plate is secured by two small screws. The screw that is closest to the edge of the phone actually screws into another screw.

That lower screw has a hollow centre that is tapped to accept the screw that holds the metal plate in place. But I noticed it had come a bit lose. It needs to be tightened with a small flat blade screwdriver. I did that then replaced the screen connectors and metal plate and, hey presto, NFC is back in operation.

Just out of curiosity to help understand the fault, can you tell me what iOS you are running? Also where did you buy the battery from, is the battery health option working, we have come across this with low quality batteries, this is why we only buy from an OEM factory.

Sang Yang will be eternally grateful.