A1708 / EMC 2978 — Released October 2016, this entry-level MacBook Pro retains its traditional function keys (as opposed to the OLED Touch Bar). The function key version packs an Intel Core i5 and two Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Backlight turning off when Lid is open more than halfway

The macbook pro's backlight shuts off when the mac is open more than halfway.

I tried an SMC and PRAM Reset, and disconnecting the battery then purging current.

I suspect it might be a problem with the Hal Effect Sensor but I cannot find it.

Where is it on this particular unit ?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Apple has a defect in the displays ribbon cables (it’s not the Hall lid sensor). You’ll need to bring it into an Apple Store to have the diaplay replaced under the extended warranty.

Thanks Dan !

I arrived at the same conclusion in the meantime but unfortunately I called Apple and they told me that if the problem was not listed under this page :

https://www.apple.com/support/exchange_r...

which it is not, there would be no extended warranty :/

Just walk in to the Apple Store. The phone support people are clueless! Apple has been replacing the displays as it's a design defect. You'er not the first, if you review the IFIXIT questions you'll see at least 12 postings with the exact same issue. Most where lucky as it was within the first year or they had AppleCare+. The others had to fight to get it fixed (as in your case). Otherwise it's a costly repair!

Zdaar will be eternally grateful.