2.3L 4cyl or 3.0L V6, 6th Generation

Engine dies while driving

HI, I have a 1998 Honda Accord with a 2.3L 4cyl, approx. 155k miles with an automatic transmission. Recently the engine has died on me either while driving or sitting at a stoplight while in gear. The engine will hesitate briefly first, then the RPM gauge drops to zero and the engine dies. I still have power to the lights, radio, window's etc... but the fan for the a/c / heat stops running.

When I try to restart the engine will turn over but won't catch. It usually takes a couple of tries after sitting a minute or 2 and the engine will start. It's happened both while the engine is cold and when up to operating temp.

Any help would be appreciated!

Get the OBDII port scanned for codes with an appropriate scantool.

If there are any codes showing this will help in finding what is going on with the engine.

If you are in the USA AutoZone will do this for free,

Father's Day Gift Guide
Let’s honor more than our dads—let’s celebrate all the mentors who taught us how to fix.
Father's Day Gift Guide
Let’s honor those who taught us how to fix.

We have the same problem with our Chevy trailblazer. When I asked about it while getting a recall fixed, The Chevy mechanic said it was the idle. It needs a tune-up. Another guy told my brother it could be the timing belt. I know we got to get it fixed soon. I'm scared a few 100 dollar job or less will turn to thousands if it destroys the engine or alternator. I'd take it to a reputable Honda place or a place you trust that wont lie to you or over charge. Get a few opinions and free estimates. Good luck man and be safe. Id do it asap if your car is stalling like that.. it could be dangerous

Mark Daimid will be eternally grateful.