Apple Watch Series 2, announced September 7th, 2016 and released September 16 2016.

Replaced Apple Watch 2 screen will not pair now

I replaced my Apple Watch 2 screen with a screen I got from Ifixit. I pair the watch with my phone it is paired for a moment but then get the message that the pairing failed ??? Any ideas?

Most Helpful Answer

I’ve been having a lot of issues with this as well (Series 2 iWatch). Trying to restart the phone and iWatch but to no avail. I think switching out the screen will help but in my situation the old screen was non functional (the display was completely out). I’d thought I try something crazy and it worked! I attached the two ribbons (closest to the digital crown) to the new display, then I attached the last ribbon (furthest from the crown) to the old display. After doing this the watch paired after the first try. Hope this helps some people. It was really frustrating looking for solutions all over the web but this worked like magic.

Wow, man.

It really works like a magic. I thought that you are joking but decided to try because I wasted my satturday morning for "dances" with Apple Watch 2 with a new screen. I tried all described above before I tried your method.

Your method worked wor me after the first try.

I'm so grateful.

But its interesting - if I will erase my Apple Watch with new screen connected - will the connection error reappear?

Will this work with any original apple watch series 2 screen or does it have to be the one that came with the device before it was replaced? I have a series 2 watch that was still paired to a device before the screen was replaced so after the repair it worked fine until the device was unpaired and tried to pair it to a new device so I do not have the old original screen available.

Hi! Only ! with the device before it was replaced.

John Lee ! Thank you! I did it! How did you come up with that?:))

keep you old screen in a safe place if you need to repair again in the future

This answer was originally to another question.

Hi.

I have testet a lot around this issue now and finally got it to work.

Here is what I’ve tested:

IOS 11.3, 11.4 and 12 NOGO with new screen.

Switched back to the old screen, was able to pair. Updated watch to 5.0.1 . switch screen and still OK. Factory reset on the watch and still able to Pair. So to all: Upgrade watch before switching screen!

Thanks Anders. Does anyone know how to update iWatch (after LCD replacement) without the old screen?

Would also like to find out if the watch can be updated without the original screen?

The same thing happened to me. If you look at the other questions on this forum, you’ll find two other examples of exactly the same problem. Unfortunately no one here seems to have a fix. On another forum I read that the watch has to be reprogrammed using IBUS S2, but this adapter + software costs a fortune (more than 100 USD each for adapter and software).

I really wish there was an easier fix for this

yup, same here. watch series 2 4.2.something firmware, ios 11.4 iphone firmware.. seems like thease cases will begin to pop up. Unfortunatley I have had no luck in figuring this out. Some say, that by flashing by ibus s2 could fix the issue but unfortunatley there are no ISPW firmwares for apple watch s2 anymore that are being signed by apple.. so not an option here...

However: IF you attach the original screen, pair the watch and then switch to the new screen the watch will work ( more or less... it won't update to 4.3.x complainig about update that could not be verified and of course if you erease you won't be able to pair again...)

Still hoping this is a bug somewhere... and either ios 12 or watchos 5 will fix it and I'm being positive that apple does not want to screw us all..

Anyway..guys.. would be helpfull if you could try to pair with an Iphone running FW 11.3.xy

Same problem here. Replaced AW S3 screen and cannot pair or update the watch. After days of googling and testing, here are the solutions I found (make sure your phone is running the latest IOS):

—— Solution when you have your old screen that is working:

- Touch screen doesn’t have to be working, only the lcd. Put back the old screen on your watch and pair it like usual. Then update the watch to OS5 and above. After that is done. Put the new screen fully on and unpair the watch (IMPORTANT!). After unpairing with the new screen, test if the watch pairs again after that. If it works, great job!

- If it doesn’t work, try this: Attach the old screen like i mentioned above. Now try to pair the watch but stop once you reach the icloud log in screen. Do not continue and go back all the way until the watch unpairs automatically. Now put the new screen on and try to pair again. The watch should pair and unpair with the new screen installed, even after a reset.

—— Solution when you have your old screen but the screen is black:

- Attach the two ribbons (closest to the digital crown) to the new display. Attached the last ribbon (furthest from the crown) to the old display. BE CAREFULL WITH THE RIBBONS! Power on the watch and pair it like usual. Then update the watch to OS5 and above. After that is done. Put the new screen fully on and unpair the watch (IMPORTANT!). After unpairing with the new screen, test if the watch pairs again after that. If it works, great job!

- If it doesn’t work, try this: Attach the old screen like i mentioned above. Now try to pair the watch again but stop once you reach the icloud log in screen. Do not continue and go back all the way until the watch unpairs automatically. Now put the new screen on and try to pair again. The watch should pair and unpair with the new screen installed, even after a reset.

—— Solution when you don’t have your old screen:

- You can try to put the new screen on and stop by an Apple store. If you’re under warranty they might replace or repair your watch without even checking that the screen isn’t original.

- You purchase a broken original screen from Ebay and try the solutions above. I never tried this before, but if you have the opportunity, please let us know.

Please keep in mind: NEVER THROW AWAY YOUR OLD SCREEN! If the solution worked, you can pair and unpair like normally, even if you reset the watch. But I’m not sure if you are able to update because mine if up to date now. I’m also not sure if it works with different phones. If you keep your screen, you can always try the solution again once it fails in the future.

Also I tested this using the automatic pairing feature as well as the pop-up I get on my iPhone once the AW has been reset. If the solutions above don’t work, try to do it again but pair the watch manually (with the code).

Excellent summary. Unfortunately I threw away the old lcd and I don't have warranty left, so there's no hope in my case.

well you can try to purchase a original broken lcd from Ebay. That is the last solution I can think of

Or you could wait for the ipsw to come out and try to flash it. But I haven't mentioned that above because not much people have the skill and tools for that.

Or purchase another Series 2 with a broken screen. Fix that one with the replacement screen you've got and sell this one as broken without screen. (because you need the old screen just in case).

I did that when I snapped my Series 3 ribbon cable. It had cost me €75 for the new watch and I sold the old / broken S3 for €35

I ended up getting mine replaced from Apple for free after complaining my “Apple pay doesn’t work and can’t pair watch” since there was no screen damaged (I replaced the screen) and no water damage, they replaced it out of warranty for free. I buy a lot of Apple products so that’s probably why they did it

The exact same thing happened to me! Have you figured out how to solve it? I disassembled my watch again and reconnected the screen just in case it was connected wrong the first time, but it did not help. I am most thankful for help. Right now the watch is useless, which is frustrating considering the expensive replacement LCD.

Martin after I fixed the screen and it would not pair I took it to an Apple store ( innocently not acknowledging I had replaced the screen ) they ? Zapped under limited warranty. Bingo it’s fixed

Hi did they replace it or what did they do ?

I’m having these issues also. I’ve done everything correctly but after you for some reason unpair it after the screen repair it will no long pair. I have about 3 now that have done this out of 20 repairs. I know everything is assembled correctly so I don’t not understand.

Exact same problem and have not resolved it. Went to Apple store and was sent off. They probably won’t fix it but hope something good will come from it.

I'm still having the same issue. I actually bought a iBUS s2 to try and flash software back onto the watch but I haven't really had time to play with it yet. So in the mean time i've got 3 watches now with this issue. :(

Hi. Sorry to say this but as I have already figured out..ibus s2 wont help you unless you have a apple watch signed firmware for the apl watch 2..

Has Apple sent it back or able to fix it?

i have ibus too but no firmware... cant buy the MfC DONGLE

Someone wrote that IOS12 might solve the problem, but I now installed the IOS12 beta 3 and tried to pair the series 2 watch. It did not help a bit - it was exactly the same error message that I have got all of the time since the display shift.

Anyone tried WatchOS 5?

Is it still not working?

Sorry but no progress. I tried again today with the sharp iOS12 (after the Watch OS 5 release) but the pairing problem is still there. However, if just OS5 firmware becomes available for re-flash then all could be solved with iBUS.

Hi. I have replaced the screen in my Watch 3 LTE, because Apple didn’t wanted to give repair/replace service for it, even willing to pay for it, because I bought it in France, and I live in Spain… They have an european warehouse that serves all countries here, so they could send the replacement to any country, including Spain or France. Well, in the Apple Store of my hometown Valencia, couldn’t do it because the LTE version is not yet being sold in Spain, neither helped the Apple Care phone service. That’s the worldwide service that the biggest company in the planet offers.

So I had no choice but do it myself. The new screen works perfectly, colors, brightness, touch sensor and force touch sensor, all. But the watch does not pain again with the phone, with the same error message from above. Anyone has a solution or a clue of what to do?

Any updates to this? I have the exact same problem. Watch was working great with the replacement digitizer/screen until i tried to update to Watch OS 5. Now it won't pair with my phone!

Any updates?

Here, i had to place the OLD original screen to sync, it wont pair with the new screen, just the old one!

What will happen if u cant find the oroginal old screen>

Many people have this question. Screen broke, replaced the screen, old screen is gone, can’t update watch OS because it won’t pair with iPhone. Is there ANYTHING that can be done??

Can a functioning, original (but not MY original) display be connected to my watch body, pair to my iPhone, update watch OS, then switch to the replacement display as described above and it work? Any thoughts?

you must pair your phone first with the broken screen ,,then replace the broken screen with the new one you purchased,its the only wayalso,, keep your old screen just in case you get a new phone or need to repair again in the future.

Any news about the previously problem? My old scratched screen doesn’t work at all.

Hi Guys,

I have picked up that if the screen you are trying to use is not truly an original screen then you will run into this pairing issue. I work at a repair centre in South Africa and I had a few of these Apple Watches come in with this issue after we had replaced the screen. Only when I tested the watch with a new ORIGINAL screen then they would pair it with an iPhone.

So that means that if you lost your old screen. Buying a used, cracked original screen from Ebay or whatever will fix the problem with the solutions I mentioned above?

Tom Jacobs will be eternally grateful.