Model A1418 / Mid 2014 / 1.4, 2.7 & 2.9 GHz Core i5 or 3.1 GHz Core i7 Processor

Backlight not functioning properly

Hello all,

I have this iMac 14.1 and the backlight is not functioning properly. If i turn on the mac i have to wait 5-10 minutes before the backlight turns on, after that the mac works fine. If i restart the iMac the screen backlight is fine and keeps lit up, its only when its fully asleep.

Anyone have an idea of how to fix this problem?

Kind regards,

Niels

I wanted to update this thread because maybe it will help someone one day. So i thought it was a back light problem ( witch it seemed like) but that was not the case. I called an Apple Tech and he told me it might be an logic board issue. Rented a screen from them to test if that screen worked on my iMac and it did. So i bought an all new screen, did not work. Then i though it might be the temperature sensor that attaches to the screen I tried a new temperature sensor, that also did not work. Turns out when i turned the video transmission cable around, it worked perfectly. So i am assuming that the cable got damaged somehow and that it makes good contact the other way around.

To be sure here: If you take a flashlight and place it on the display at a sharp angle can you see your desktop icons? Or, still better if you plug in an external display does the image on it show the same symptoms?

If i use a flashlight i can see the screen icons and such, so the screen is not entirely broken. And thanks for your response!

If thats the case your main logic board needs service. The buck driver and the supporting logic which controls the backlight are mounted on it.

Can i do that myself or do i have to take it to apple? And also do you know how much that is going to cost me?

This will require someone with deeper skills and tools to isolate what discrete parts that need replacing and have access to them. There are people with these skills to fix your logic board. Apple will only replace the logic board which you could also do if you use the proper care but this would be the more expensive path iMac Intel 21.5" EMC 2805 Logic Board Replacement

Okay i will try it with the guide. Thank you very much Dan and have a nice Monday ;)

Niels will be eternally grateful.