A followup to the LG V10 smartphone, similar to the LG G5, released on September 29, 2016. The LG V20 can be distinguished by the model numbers F800, H910, H918, H990 DS Dual, H990N Dual, H990T, LS997, US996, and VS995. It is available in titan, pink, or silver with 32/64 GB of storage.

Lower microphone does not work

There are 3 microphones in the V20. One of the 3 on my phone seems to be dead; the one used for calls located next to the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone. It seems to pick up a faint amount of audio, but so faint that it might as well be nothing at all. Anyone else have this problem? Easy to fix? Replacement part?

Thanks in advance! :)

This problem fixed itself for me. I believe the update to 8.0 may have done it.

Most Helpful Answer

Hi @chedley ,

The voice inlet hole to the microphone may be blocked with lint etc. Try using a vacuum cleaner and see if this clears the obstruction.

DO NOT use a pin or probe to try and clear it as you may damage the microphone which is directly behind it.

Hi @chedley ,

No I don't sorry.

This is the best that I can find.

Here is a video that shows the teardown of a LG V20.

Here is an image taken from the showing showing the mic (I think).

(click on image to enlarge for better viewing).

I can't see any "flex cable" in the video/image for the mic so am wondering if the link I posted earlier was for the correct one. (I did say "if this is the one" hoping that you could tell when you opened the phone). You may have a better view when you've dis-assembled the phone to that point.

No, it's not simple blockage. Even if it was crammed full, I'd be able to hear a hint of voice. The only think I can hear out of that mic is a faint tap sound when I flick the mic directly with my fingernail. Can't hear voice at all.

Hi @chedley ,

You might have to replace the microphone (if this is the one - example only - search for "KG V20 microphone part" to get more suppliers) to prove if it is the microphone that is the problem or something else on the systemboard, in from where the mic connects

Ordered. Will update once it arrives. Thanks!

Do you know of a guide for installation? Can't find one

Same problem, voice recorder works, no sound from mic when on call. Replaced the mic by the camera, no help. Just received replacement mic for bottom of phone. Cannot find any info on how to replace, tear down today.

I don’t have an answer, but I have a similar problem out of the box. The phone works fine for the microphone pickup of “ok Google” but on a cell call (on speaker) no one can hear anything I am saying. Any ideas? Since I didn’t discover this until I had the phone all set up to use with all my software, I hesitate to return it.

Chedley will be eternally grateful.