A1706 / EMC 3071—Released in November 2016, this 13" Macbook Pro introduces the OLED Touch Bar. Features a dual-core "Skylake" Intel Core i5 CPU and four Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Screen issues, Back light dims & goes out

I have a 2016 macbook touchbar 13" and one month after the 1 year warranty I noticed this "stage lights" issue. 5 months later the issue is worse now.

Yesterday, I noticed that when I tilt the screen back beyond the 90 degree angle the screen goes black. Then if I move it back to 90 degrees it gets illuminated. But the angles vary a lot. Sometimes it gets illuminated only If I move it back to 60 degrees and sometimes a little more than 90 degrees.

One important thing to mention: when I open the lid until 60 degree there's no stage light issue, the display is clean, with no shadows. The issue starts at 60 degree with the shadows appearing and screen brightness being lowered until it goes black.

It works perfectly with an external monitor. So it must be something with a damaged display cable, right? Can it get worse than it already is, like damaging the logic board or something?

I can't afford an expensive repair (new display) so if I'm safe keeping the lid closed, I'm planning to use it as a desktop.

Me too. I opened a thread at Apple

https://discussions.apple.com/message/33...

apple closed the tread :(

I’ve started a petition on change.org (https://www.change.org/p/apple-fix-all-n...).

Please sign in, together we can make Apple run an extended warranty program.

Same problem here. I called Apple, they don’t want to cover the costs. I have an model MacBook Pro touchbar 2016 with a lot of extras. Very disappointed…

I have the same thing with my 2016 MacBook pro, you can check out my post earlier. You will need to push hard and upwards as many have recommended. Unless every case was voiced to upper, Apple will not take action. Even if Apple puts this display problem into a quality program in the next few years, you will still be refunded for all the repair expenses later. Every case counts.

Apple appears to have a run of displays failing in the new 2016/18 models!

Sadly, the cable between the backlight within the display and the connection to the logic board is the issue here. The flexing of the display (opening & closing the lid) fatigues the wires within the ribbon cable. The complete lid needs to be swapped out.

Apple will likely issue an extended warranty for this (free repair). I would still make the effort to visit an Apple Store so its on record if you can't afford the repair now. They may even just repair it under warranty!

Here's a bit more: Verdict on the 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro – Apple’s Shiny New Toy Crippled By Serious Flaws

Quote: "Here at Mac Plus, we are seeing an increasing number of MacBook Pro 2016 – 2017 coming in for repairs for LCD backlight issues, LCD sudden death, keyboard issues as well as logic board failures. Most of these Macbook Pro are less than half a year out of warranty. For the past 4 months, we had nearly 10 customers enquiry about LCD and keyboard issues.

One typical issue that the new MacBook Pro has is with the backlight and display showing “spotlight” effects at the bottom of the LCD."

Thanks for your comment, Dan. Do you think this issue can get worse than it already is, like damaging the logic board or something?

I'm planning to use it as a desktop with the lid closed connected to an external monitor, keyboard, mouse until I can take it to an Apple Store.

Leaving it closed should help.

But! You really need to visit an Apple Store to get your problem known! Besides, theres also a good chance Apple will replace your display so you'll get the full operation back under extended warranty. Apple will likely rebate the cost once the extended program starts.

Procrastination will do you in! Don't!

@efries - Apple killed your thread! Guess they want to hide it.

I have the same display problem for my 13” Macbook pro that I bought in late 2016. I agree with all the comments state that this is clearly a product defect and degradation of Apple products. I already went to Brea Mall Apple store and tried to find out what happened, the only solution I got is to pay $400 for replacing a new display if your warranty is out. The thing is even though I am seeing enough reports online, Apple repair team did not see enough data to recognize this is a known issue that they should acknowledge and do something about it. I urge everyone who run into the problem go to Apple support site and log a ticket. I am in the process of escalating it upward and hoping to get a more satisfying resolution by talking to the senior product support staff and customer relation.

Any news on this?

I am having this exact same issue and it only started about 3 months after my warranty period ended.

I brought it in to an Apple Store in Turin, Italy, where I am currently living and they said I’d have to pay for the repair. I then found out about this issue being quite widespread so I complained to the Apple support chat folks and they directed me to a senior phone advisor who said the same thing Pay for it!

Now I’ve scheduled another meeting at the Apple Store again and I will ask to see a manager... Any tips on how to take this further up the food chain so that I can get an exception/push for a repair program like with the keyboards?

@diegoaparra30, first I am sorry to see another same case , Apple Store again continued to ask its customer to pay for the repair even though it is very obvious that it is a defective component.

Long story short, I too talked to a senior staff from the support team but got no help. I continued to reach out to customer relation, after an hour long heated discussion, she finally agreed to repair my display for free. Yet, the Apple Store did not agree to the decision, I had to pick up my laptop from the Apple Store and decline the repair first.

The Apple customer relation person then ordered me a repair box to ship my laptop in for depot repair. The depot repair was known to be a cheaper way for fixing device issues.

After that, my problem was fixed within 3 days and shipped right back to me with no charge on my side. I’m happy with the result but it is sad to see Apple continue to treat it’s customers badly especially in situation as this.

Given many similar cases spreading globally, I am sure it is a defective product issue, Apple still refuses to look into it and continues to ask victims to pay for the expensive repair.

It might need another class of action to put this issue into a quality program.

same issue on my Macbook Pro 13" (2016). would you know if they replaced the whole display system or just the cables?

They are replacing the display assembly as unlike the older models the cables are soldered directly on the display and go to a second logic board (T-CON) with is held just above the main logic board. Take a look at this image T-CON & logic board. If you look at the top you'll see to clips which hold the four cables from the lid on the T-COM board. The 3rd cable from the left is the backlight cable.

Thanks Dan! Looks like i got to spend more coz of this hardware config

thiagodacosta will be eternally grateful.