Model A1297 Unibody: Early 2009, Mid 2009, Mid 2010, Early 2011 & Late 2011

What is the backlight fuse from the late 2011 MBP 17?

The backlight fuse has blown on my 2011 MBP 17, so I am looking into replacing it. Does anyone know what fuse I should be looking for? This is a picture of the fuse in question:

https://imgur.com/a/qMHUs7g

Is it feasible for a non-expert solderer to replace this fuse, or should I be looking for help?

Most Helpful Answer

@ddebbil the fuse is a 3A 32V in a 0603 package. Always buy more than you think you need and check your backlight circuit for short circuits. Can it be done? Absolutely. If you have never done it before, get a couple of old boards and practice. If totally unsure, get someone else to help you with it.

I'm not sure on the fuse you should be replacing, but by the looks of it, you wouldn't want to attempt this repair without a good amount of experience with soldering small components. You could play it the safe way and take it in to a professional place but be sure to call ahead and see what their rates are.

It's also possible you have a deeper problem!

A controlled circuit like this shouldn't be burning fuses. Think how your house wiring allows you to put anything on an outlet if you over load it the breaker/fuse blows but in this case you created the problem by overloading the circuit. Here we can't and or remove things so either the fuse or its soldering is not good often corrosion (rare) or the backlight circuit has a problem (more likely).

I was replacing the clutch cover, and forgot to reconnect the LCD cable before plugging in the battery. I *think* I read that this can blow the fuse, although I'm doubting myself now. Can anyone confirm this theory?

DDebbil will be eternally grateful.