Repair guides for displays (or monitors) for computers or other devices with video output.

Dell U2413 turning off

I recently bought a used Dell U2413 monitor. All were working fine within my initial use, though a few days after, the monitor started to turn itself off randomly within half an hour to an hour of use-- no power led, and would turn back on after a couple of minutes. After some troubleshooting, it appears that the power supply, or something within the power supply circuit is overheating, thus causing the monitor to turn off.

I'd like to know what specific components to look into for this kind of problem?

Thank you!

edit:

Currently tinkering with the board and I'm looking at two mosfets that might be overheating. I checked with the multimeter and they're both around .450-.470v.

K15A60U (with its own heatsink)

LD7904jgp7 (no heatsink, and near the K15A60U's heatsink)

Still not sure though which one needs to be replaced.

Hi @dancarlocanlas ,

Have you checked the capacitors in the power supply section? Just in case they are bulging etc.

Just a thought.

yep. all capacitors and resistors seem to be fine -- no bulging, no burned parts, etc. I also noticed that if I provide ample air blowing at the back of the monitor, the issue doesn't persist. I do realize, this could work, but it might not be an ideal long-term solution.

Hi @dancarlocanlas ,

Can you replace / renew the thermal paste on the heatsink that you mentioned?

Cheers.

That's probably my next step, though I don't have an idea about thermal paste for electronic components. I only know about them for computer cpus. Do they have specific types for each application, or any thermal paste will do? Also, I'm looking at sticking a heatsink on top of the LD7904 chip (DIP), would that be advisable?

Hi @dancarlocanlas ,

My untrained guess is that any new paste will be better than dried old paste.

As to putting on a heatsink. It may prolong the life of the component but if it is running hotter than it should due to whatever reason then it will fail eventually anyway, but definitely worth a try.

Apple Watch Kits

Screen and battery repairs just got easier.

Apple Watch Kits

Most Helpful Answer

After some time of trouble shooting i found that the shut down issue was related to a crow bar circuit in a voltage control circuit, this circuit is used to set the output voltage of the 5.3v supply. With the out put at pins 3 and 4 using the red ground wire a pin one. There is a sensitive gate SCR Q971 PN. MCR101L http://www.unisonic.com.tw/datasheet/MCR... ( near the top left corner of the pcb) that was turning on when heat was applied to it, some place around 150 deg. F. There is also another SCR Q972 that is used for the 24 / 11.9 supply that may cause the same issue, Q972 is near the lower center of the pcb, near a heat sink. i found a similar part at digi-key PN BT169-L, there is an issue and the -parts leads are not in the correct order, with some care one can rearrange them to work.

As also ways i will not take any responsibility for the repair, or any damage to you or the equipment, (KMA)

I have am having success with my fix , happy fixing

FBG

Hope this helps,

Hi Floyd. Thanks for your hint. I tried the thermal paste and radiator fix first but the problem still persists and the monitor shuts off.

Now for better understanding: You fixed it by completely replacing the electronic parts with a new one (MCR101)? And the three metal pins (part leads?) have to be rearranged in what exact order then?

I want to solder them in but don't want to risc to short the whole pcb.

Thanks for any suggestion!

Chris

It has been running for two days without turning off. I put new thermal paste on the K15A60U and I attached a radiator to the LD7904jgp7

Eeeegad! We've got FOUR of these monitors at our law firm and all four have gone belly up. If this isn't a manufactures’ defect, then there's no such thing. The question is: we paid $685 a piece for these in 2015, have put about 10,000hrs or less on all of them (possibly half that) and not we've got $2,600+ worth of useless crap now. This is not acceptable by any measure. I am most certainly NOT mechanically inclined enough to fix them as described above, so short of that option, can anybody point me in the right direction? I'm in charge of “dealing with” the monitors. I kinda feel like I'm kicking water up a hill! Any help would be very much appreciated.

Take them to a local repair shop and show them Floyd Brooke's solution above..

Dan Carlo Canlas will be eternally grateful.