Motorola Atrix 4G

The Motorola Atrix 4G is dual-core Android-powered phone by Motorola.

What adhesive / glue is best for screen replacement?

I recently shattered the screen of my Motorola Atrix 4G. I purchased replacement screens (yes, multiple) from Global Direct Parts.

It works fine, except I must have pulled most of the adhesive off when pulling out the old screen. The new screen barely sticks down.

I realize standard glue is not appropriate here. What adhesive should be used to stick the new screen down, and where can it be purchased ?

Global Direct Parts looks like a nice place. Not only do they sell adhesives with their products, they sell a number of Apple parts too. I would recommend what ever you choose to use for an adhesive that you clean the old adhesive off and apply the new evenly. Digitizers work off of pressure and they feel the change in pressure almost as much from the back as they do from the front.

by ABCellars

Not an answer but an offer to buy one of those screens from you. My atrix screen cracked yesterday and I've been searching for replacements online. I've seen a few sites that sell them for $50-$60/each but I don't know how reputable they are (durapower, a-list technology).

by swimh5

swimh5 since you know it is not an answer, why not change it to a comment and attach it to the original question?

by oldturkey03

Most Helpful Answer

Yohotown is an ebay store that sells double sided tape that is 2mm wide for this purpose:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50M-3M-Adhesive-DOUB...

+ most adhesives you get with screens are just fancy double sided tape, not a glue as most people expect. I wouldn't recommend a superglue as jonjordan has for going anywhere near my digitiser etc.. if it fails again how on earth are you going to remove that??

by pollytintop

+ looks like nice stuff, made by 3m, I just ordered 1 to try it out. Good price on a 50m roll too.

by ABCellars

+ that is The Right Stuff

by oldturkey03

i found the 3m adhesive for the atrix here for $4.95

http://www.durapowerglobal.com/Motorola-...

i used clear silicone

I wouldnt worry about the superglue sticking to the metal (for the people who say it would be tough to remove if you had to replace it again).

I would me more concerned thar 1. it wont hold at all, or will give way after getting bumped a few times, or 2. that the super glue could spill over past the edge of the glass when you set the new digitizer in place, causing it to show. 3. unless you put glue arround the entire frame, dust will still get in very easily.

I agree it seems best to avoid the super glue if possible. It's too runny to stay where you want it and usually turns a bit "chalky-white" & quite noticeable in contrast with the rest of the screen, lowering the overall appearance and value.

I haven't completed this project yet myself but I was going to look into silicon products. It seems that's what was used in the screen I pulled out to replace and it's reasonable to believe it would act as sufficient adhesive, remain more transparent than alternatives and possibly even be best for water resistance!

silicon works for aquariums and vehicle windows!

by Ryan Granger

Superglue. ..really bad idea...

I used superglue on my phone. you don't have to worry about never getting it back off if you need to get into the phone. you need to worry about the screen not staying in. I sat my phone on the table and the glass slide off of the phone!

I wouldn't recommend superglue. I shattered the screen to my lg nitro and used super glue. I sat my phone on the table and I seen a gap on my phone screen I picked up my phone and the screen fell out.

why not using 'hot glue' from a hot glue gun; you can purchase this for less than 10 bucks from amazon or your local walmart store

what about uv glue has anyone tried that it supposed to be for the phone glass

loca

I like Loctite brand super glue which can be purchased at hardware stores and other locations where superglue is sold. Hope this helps.

Score -1

I wouldn't necessarily want to use a superglue on a part that may have to be removed again(people are clumsy!)

by pollytintop

Please do stay away from super glue whenever you perform a repair like this. It will be a PITA for you if you will ever have to open or fix it again.

by oldturkey03

Roger will be eternally grateful.