iPhone 4

Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

Earpiece speaker very quiet after spill

Wife spilled her chocolate wine on my iPhone. I immediately cleaned it off and allowed it to sit in a bag of rice for a day.

Everything works, except that the earpiece speaker is very very quiet.

I've disassembled and liquid sensor/sticker still white(in middle of iphone4) but there are several red dots on the earpiece speaker. Are those also liquid detection stickers or are they supposed to be red?

I've looked at logic board and ribbons and detect no signs of liquid exposure(no dried wine that I can see or sticky parts). What should be my next step? I have it disassembled still.

Is there a way to clean the speaker? Or do I just need to replace it?

Holy crap on a cracker, I got sweat in my phone after working out and havent been able to hear for two weeks. I said no way the sonic brush will work. Girlfriend bought me one 7 months ago and havent used it, broke it out feeling like a idiot for trying and BAM, just like new. Thank you.

by Jason Evans

Most Helpful Answer

Be careful about using compressed air and desiccants. I've repaired two iPhones with the same issue by using a sonic toothbrush to shake the moisture and dirt from the earpiece. Simply place the bristles directly on the earpiece grate and turn the toothbrush on high for a few minutes. It will dislodge all the buildup and your phone will be as good as new. One of my phones had been submerged in a sink for about 10 seconds and this fixed the issue while compressed air and desiccant had no effect.

Thanks sooooo much! I tried sooo many things and nothing worked, rubbed the tooth brush for 10 seconds and its working now :) PS: I dropped mine in the toilet :P

by Rashi Dewan

Man Thanks soon much! You're the best, a regular tooth brush worked! Try for 10 second! Ps: Great Advice, You're the best.

by Doc Brown

Thanks so much pal .. you made my day .. just simple dry brushing made the magic ... my andrioid phone was immersed in a thick ice cream 2 days back and the audio at the earpeice was so faint now its back to original step..thanks a ton bryan!

by itsme

OMG! THANK YOU!!! Spilled ranch dressing on my phone, couldn't hear, tried your suggestion about the toothbrush and I can hear perfectly now! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!

by mearsgirl

Fantastic tip. Worked like a charm !:(What's that mean? :-)) But really, thanks for the tip. I was a desperate for a repair on my non-warranty phone.

by BG McFall

I had the same issue with my iphone 4. One day the volume seemed low and muffled. The sound was fine with an external headset or blue tooth so I knew it had to be in the speaker. In my case I think pocket lint and dirt ended up clogging the ear piece. I used my air compressor and about 90 psi of pressure and blew out the ear piece, speakers on the bottom, and the headphone jack. I was surprised at how much dust came out. Since then the phone has been like new. Just make sure that your compressor doesn't have any condensation in it. In my case I actually blew a little moisture out from the speaker area. It was hot here one day and I was using the phone. I believe my sweat and lint may have been the issue. Hope this helps someone else.

Thank you! You all just saved me a lot of money! I tried the hair dryer on cool, and that didn't work, then I tried brushing the speaker with a regular tooth brush and it TOTALLY WORKED!!! Wow, what a relief! Thanks again. :)

It could be that the speaker still has some water or moisture in it. With such small speakers, changing the needed airspace to function properly, can result in a lower volume or muffled sound.

I recommend turning off your phone and submerging it in a bowl of rice or kitty litter. Leave it in there for a couple of days. This will pull and extract the remaining moisture or water droplets from inside the iPhone. Hopefully your earpiece speaker will continue to work correctly afterwards. I found this replacement part on google http://iphone4parts.com/shop/iphone-spea...

I did as you instructed and allowed it to sit in rice for 2 days. No change. Then I opened up the iPhone and replaced the ear speaker. And in doing so I did not see any signs of moisture. But sadly even after replacing the speaker there was no change what so ever. What else could be the issue?

by Jerry Adams

Did you replace the earpiece speaker with a new one? It might have been damaged during the water spill. I would recommend replacing the earpiece speaker unit.

by danny

I replaced the ear speaker with a brand new one. No change... Any other ideas?

by Jerry Adams

I think that the screen is mucked up with choco wine. Can you use a q-tip and some 99% alcohol to clean up the ear speaker screen?

I am confused to how I should try and blow out the speaker? Is there a way to take it apart that way I am not blowing the dust into the phone? I have the same problem where my iPhone speaker is very quiet during conversations and it just happened out of no where so I am thinking something got in the speaker when it was in my purse possibly. Please let me know sbmm4 how you blew out the dust so I can try the same. Thank you

Awesome! I bought a used iPhone 4 with a bad earpiece speaker. I replaced it (for $2.09 delivered) and had no luck. I looked here and found that the speaker grill was covered in lint and the loud speaker too! They both work better now!!! Thanks a lot, you guys!

My phone fell in the toilet.... yet it stayed on, the only issue i noticed was the ear piece speaker volume became really low..i managed to fix it by simply using an airfloss. I placed the air floss directly on the earpiece grate an give it a couple of puffs(blows).. it did the job..(just make sure the air floss is completely dry before using)

My phone was doing the same thing and it's never been wet or dusty but the AT&t store replaced the sim card and now the sound level is back to new

Thank you, Bryan, for the Sonicare tip! My phone works like new!

I just did the same thing. Crap. I accidentally spilled half a glass of one after a dramatic display of emotion during a conversation. The speakers aren't working at all during a normal call, but I can hear when I put it on speaker. I'm putting it in Rice today and will try the sonic care tomorrow. Thanks for all the great tips. This is my second Iphone in 6 months :( The last fell into a porta-potty.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know I found this thread after doing some research. I spilled a little iced tea on my new iPhone 4 and found that I could barely hear anything coming out of the main speaker.

I tried the rice method for days, to no avail.

After I found this thread, I bought a sonic toothbrush (was planning on it anyway) and before I actually used it, I tried this method.

It worked! I just turned the phone off (didn't even take it apart) simply made sure some of the toothbrush hairs (?) were inside the speaker and turned it on for the 2-minutes allotted, making sure to get in the crevices. I worked all around the speaker and when I was done, I turned the phone back on and I could hear out of the speaker again.

The phone works much better now, and I didn't have to dissemble it at all. I might try it one more time with a normal toothbrush when the it is nice and dry.

Thanks for the tips!

My Iphone fell in the toilet but it stayed on and seemed to be working fine until I tried to call my husband. The earpiece wasn't working at all, he could hear me but I couldn't hear him. Also I noticed that the tones weren't working and from further investigation worked out that the phone seemed to think I had headphones plugged in when I didn't!

I kept using the phone for the rest of the day by using speakerphone for any calls. I then used the rice method suggested here. I removed my sim card and put the phone in a sealed bag of rice overnight for 16 hours. I was amazed to find that my phone was working perfectly fine after this, it was brilliant!!

Thanks for all the help!

Guys,

im really stuck with this one, same issue speaker has gone quiet out of no were, have tried to restore phone, resotre to factory reset - hard reset,

have blown out the speaker (with a can of air clean)

none of this has worked, the only possible things that could have broken the phone are

a drop from about 3 inched on to a tile floor (this did not damage the outside for the phone)

Using it on a phone call when it was raining and there is water damage to the speaker,

or this happened when i jail broke and upgraded to 5.1.1.

have restored the phone to 5.1. using redsnow and still the same issue,

I can also see in the speaker grill it does look like it has crap in, Dust/muck

does anyone have any other brilliant ideas?

Sucking the earpiece worked for me too........thanks dude

Sohel

HELLO! i had the same problem! only i spilled sesame salad dressing on my phone and it dried. I thought of sewing Buffalo Wild Wings but instead i googled many different ways to clean my iphone. what i did (and it worked after a few minutes of cleaning) i cut off the tips of Q-Tips leaving about a centimeter of the cotton on the stick. then i sprayed it with windex and the edge of the Q-tip in the ear peace then took an electric tooth brush and ran it on my speaker however i called and it was still pretty bad, then i resorted to using rubbing alcohol (dries fast) i did the same process but did it a few times at the end i used a regular tooth brush as well. I AM PROUD TO SAY I CAN HEAR MY MOM CALL ME NOW!! ....well kind of proud ;D

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

I spilled sweet and sour sauce from mcdonnalds right into the earpiece of my iphone4 literally 3 days after buying it. everything on the phone worked except for the earpiece; i could hardly hear anyone on the phone. i read this thread and decided it was worth a try. so i used a generic brand electric toothbrush (dry, brand new) directly on the earpiece, let the bristles go in the little holes, and held the phone front side-down. i did this for about 2 minutes and now it works perfectly!! definitely try this before buying a new phone!!!

I had a friend spill a shot of fire whiskey on my phone and it went right into the ear piece. After having to use speaker phone for about a week and hearing about repair costs from $50 to $200...I got fed up and used one of those little alcoholic swab napkins you find in a first-aid kit along with a toothpick and scrubbed away. I did avoid not getting a lot of alcohol in and along with the toothpick I was able to get the ear piece working. To this day I have a habit of putting my iPhone face down :-)

What do i do if my iphone 5 was dropped in a glass og orange juice i took it out and dried it and put it ric it is working fine but my speakers are low and when i play music it comes out all quiet and muffed PLEASE HELP ME

If my speakers are not working cause of dropping it in orange juice do i suck the it out with a vacum cleaner or do i dry it with a blow dryer ???

Like a bad comedy, I just played hacky-sack with my iPhone 4S, ultimately losing, as it fell in a substantially ravaged toilet. Like in ninja I didn't have time to hesitate and immediately pulled it out. Now, maybe it was sort of floating on top of an excessive quantity of toilet paper, I'm not sure.. But I immediately threw it in a towel, face down. After a minute I then used a t-shirt to get in the ear piece and the dock connector, that drew out some more 'water'. Afterwards, things seemed fine, except both my speakers sounded terrible & very faint. A few mins of evaporation cleared up the loud speaker, but not the one used for phone calls. After reading this forum, I then sucked on the earpiece speaker for about 30s and it sounded totally fine after that, though seemed as though I got no purchase on anything, thankfully. Still brushed my teeth passionately afterwards.

I have Apple Care for this thing, while it seems totally fine, I'll consider getting it replaced for the $50, as you're entitled to two such replacements.. Though I'm still not totally convinced they'll honour it for the dunceful act of batting the phone in to a toilet.

Lol folks!!! Thank god for this thread. I popped a wrapped sweet choc into my pocket tht someone handed to me. Got home to find out I got choc milkshake in my pocket and over my phone!! Lol saw some had leaked on to speaker. Next day the sound was muffled and perfect if on speakerphone. Gona try the electric toothbrush technique!!! Hope it works eek!

I just tried the aforementioned electric toothbrush technique and it worked incredibly well, earpiece back to its original volume.

Wow, this is so incredibly helpful! The sonicare tip completely fixed my 4. Thanks so much!!!

Spilled a drink on my iphone and had the same problem,Thanks so much, the electric toothbrush trick helped me too

I dropped my iPhone 5 in a small pot of *cold vegetable soup* two hrs ago. I carefully dabbed a dry soft cloth on the soupy areas and saw that it had seeped into all the bottom orifices, but not very deep. After tapping it, standing it upright, onto a paper towel on a wooden cutting board, most of it came out. Only thing is I found out the speaker on the bottom was muffled. So after letting it air dry enough, *I used my old battery powered toothbrush*, sticking the bristles deep into the grills as mentioned above, turning it on, and it worked! I'm so happy I came across this page, thanks for the tips. :)

I did the same thing, spilled juice in my speakers. I just tried a bunch of different options that people had posted on here, and it worked! My speakers sound as good as new again! Just don't freak out and try some of these options before you go tearing apart your iPhone, they really work!

Mayonnaise got on my I phone 4 speaker I cleaned it out but then when I tried to turn the volume higher the volume bar didn't show up and the volume didn't work . What to do ????? Please help me !!!!!!

I accidentally dropped phone on butter now phone volume is low but when I keep cover open it works good when I close cover the volume is low

Pls someone help me I accidentally dropped samsung phone on butter indian ghee .now phone volume is low when I open cover the volume is good but when I put cover back the volume is low.can someone pls help me.

I used a soft brush and just brushed the outside of the speaker (without disassembly), it took me 30 seconds and is back to normal. Which leads me to believe the issue was clogged. I did not even got to try a can of air. Does not make much sense but it worked. Thank you m8s.

Jerry Adams will be eternally grateful.