Repair guides and support for your Samsung TV.

Why my smart tv turns on by itself?

Hi, we have a few months old Samsung UA55MU8000WXXY smart curve tv and it started turning on by itself. What's the problem with it?

@jrm182015 have you checked your settings to see if the timer is set to turn it on?

Hi @jrm182015 ,

What is the model number of the TV?

Have you enabled the Samsung Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) feature in the settings area ?

It may be that you have a CEC enabled device connected to one of the TV's HDMI ports and when you turn it on it turns on the TV.

Just a thought.

@oldturkey03 just check the settings timer and its off.

@jayeff model # is

"Samsung UA55MU8000WXXY"

We have a surround speaker with AV reciever which is connected to the TV. I normally turn off both tv and the receiver before we go to bed.then later at night the tv will turn on by itself.same in the morning we turn it off then if i get home from work its On again

Hi @jrm182015 ,

Usually finding out why something doesn't turn on is easier than finding out why it does turn on, (especially as your TV has a lot of options to turn it on!).

It may be a process of elimination to find the cause of the problem

1. Can you power off (i.e. actually switch the power off ) to the AV receiver just to eliminate it as a possible cause of the problem? Just doing it the one time should prove whether it is or not.

2. Is there a pattern to the time that the TV is turning on, e.g. about the same time at night, every night or is it random. I realize that while you are at work you cannot tell ;-) If random have you noticed if there has been any power outages, even minor blinks just before it turns On? Perhaps even something as unremarkable as an electrical appliance turning on e.g. a refrigerator or even a CFL light (Compact Fluorescent Light) in the same room (don't laugh - a faulty CFL can affect the IR receiver in a TV)

3. Has the time changed or 'reset' in the TV clock after it turns on or if not is the TV connected to the internet and is the clock set to Auto? Time change may only be noticed if Clock is set to manual. If set to Auto and the TV is connected to the internet the time will be updated from the internet. You can try setting the time to manual mode and see if it helps to narrow down when it is happening. Go to Settings > General > System Manager > Time > Clock > Clock Mode > Manual

4. If the TV is connected to the internet, what is the connection type, wired or WiFi?

5. If the TV is connected to the internet there is also this setting that you may wish to look at: Turning on the TV with a Mobile Device : go to Settings > General > Network > Power On with Mobile

6. Also the following setting (if enabled) will help to indicate that the TV has not been on for more than 4 hours without user input (This is for during the day when you are at work) as the TV should be switched off after 4 hours. Settings > General > Eco Solution >Auto Power Off - Automatically turns off the TV to reduce unnecessary power consumption if there is no operation for 4 hours. It may be worthwhile to enable it (if it isn't already) as it may help in determining exactly when the TV turns on and what else may be happening at that time.

Apologies for the long response.

Most Helpful Answer

I had same problem with my Samsung Q765” television (2018). I have disabled the Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) feature  from settings then never happened again!

Yes, but then you have no surround sound or additional speakers! We have the same problem with our Samsung Smart TV turning on by itself! And we have tried everything for the process of elimination! But Samsung never ounce mentioned the auto timer... so I will definitely be looking into this!!! TY

Did it work?

Has anyone solved this issue yet?!

I have the same problem & it’s very annoying!

I have same problem. Hate it when it comes,on in middle of night. Comes on during day too. No common time.

Mine turns on randomly in the middle of the night as well. I really would like an answer to this problem.

I called Samsung and they suggested that it could be a faulty remote so recommended me removing the batteries before leaving the house every time, and it's been four days it hasn't turned on by itself. Will keep monitoring.

I web through the menu of Sharp Smart TV and it had the option to turn on at 2:00 AM and I disabled it. So, I shall see tomorrow if it happens again or not.

Jen Abainza will be eternally grateful.