Mid 2010 Model A1278 / 2.4 or 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

My USB ports are disabled.

When plugging into the usb ports, a popup window says it has been disabled because a device is using too much power. I've tried resetting the SMU, PRAM, disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Nothing works. The only other advice I've read is that the logic board may need to be replaced.

What can I do short of replacing the logic board.

What device are you trying to hook up to your USB that is giving you this error? What other USB devices are attached to the Laptop? What is the amperage rating for each of these devices?

Hello Ben....as u see below, there are two different SMC resets. It depends on wether u have a removable battery or not.

Reset the SMC of a MacBook or MacBook Pro’s with detachable batteries:

• Shutdown the MacBook/Pro and remove the battery
  • Disconnect the power adapter, hold the Power Key for 10 seconds
  • Release the power key and reconnect your battery and power adapter
  • Turn your Mac on
  • Let boot as usual.

Reset SMC of a MacBook or MacBook Pro’s with an internal battery:

• Shutdown your MacBook/Pro
  • Connect the power adapter to your Mac
  • On the MacBook/Pro’s keyboard, hold down the Shift+Control+Option keys and the Power button at the same time
  • Release all keys and the power button at the same time
  • Boot your Mac as usual

Make sure that you are performing the correct SMC for your machine. If this doesn't work; I would create a new user account and see if the problem persists, before jumping into a repair. If this doesn't help; you might need to replace the I/O Board of your machine.

Most Helpful Answer

Different ports have different power levels. Try the other ports

Mayer, Thanks for the answer. I'veonly 2 ports and tried both, switched different connections. took out the battery again, reset the SMU again. PRAM several times. nothing worked.Also there is very little in the apple support forum about this,but a lot of apple users have this same problem. Again any suggestion or answer is appreciated.

Help me learn here. What do you mean that different usb ports have different power levels? On PC's they are all 5.5Vdc.

ABCellars...Not all USB Ports are powered the same. I provided the documentation to prove this a few months ago; can't seem to track it down. But Mac's and PC's have self-powered USB ports that are powered by and "internal hub", but that's usually one port out of two in laptops. And usually the "powered USB " ports are usually in the front of a desktop, and the back ones are not.

I even provided a diagram which showed which USB ports were powered on specific machines. It was in one of my questions....I'll try to track it down.

one of the usb port is not working

Thank you all. I tried all of the above and still could not get the USB port to recognize any device. The original device that fried the port was an RC helicopter that came with a USB charging cord. When plugging in an external hard drive or a usb flash drive or other usb devices the device itself will show a light to show that there is power, but the Finder and/or desktop will not recognize the device so I can't click or use the finder to open or move it. Anyone have amy more ideas before I have to plunk down a few hundred dollars for a new logic board you think? I assume this is the same as the I/O board that was mentioned in the previous comment.

usb mouse not powered

hooked up printer to USB port before the three ports all gave message "because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer, one or more of your USB devices has been disabled printer had own power source and is no longer connected. I prefer simple mouse with few buttons because I am left handed and lack of ability to use trackpad

Ben Santos will be eternally grateful.