Mid 2010 Model A1278 / 2.4 or 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

My USB ports are disabled.

When plugging into the usb ports, a popup window says it has been disabled because a device is using too much power. I've tried resetting the SMU, PRAM, disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Nothing works. The only other advice I've read is that the logic board may need to be replaced.

What can I do short of replacing the logic board.

What device are you trying to hook up to your USB that is giving you this error? What other USB devices are attached to the Laptop? What is the amperage rating for each of these devices?

I hаd a ѕіmіlаr issue, Mу usb ports suddenly stopped working.

I fіnаllу managed tо rеѕоlvе the рrоblеm .

Fоllоw thіѕ guide hеrе: http://bit.ly/Macusbports

Hоре thіѕ hеlрѕ

Hello Ben....as u see below, there are two different SMC resets. It depends on wether u have a removable battery or not.

Reset the SMC of a MacBook or MacBook Pro’s with detachable batteries:

• Shutdown the MacBook/Pro and remove the battery
  • Disconnect the power adapter, hold the Power Key for 10 seconds
  • Release the power key and reconnect your battery and power adapter
  • Turn your Mac on
  • Let boot as usual.

Reset SMC of a MacBook or MacBook Pro’s with an internal battery:

• Shutdown your MacBook/Pro
  • Connect the power adapter to your Mac
  • On the MacBook/Pro’s keyboard, hold down the Shift+Control+Option keys and the Power button at the same time
  • Release all keys and the power button at the same time
  • Boot your Mac as usual

Make sure that you are performing the correct SMC for your machine. If this doesn't work; I would create a new user account and see if the problem persists, before jumping into a repair. If this doesn't help; you might need to replace the I/O Board of your machine.

Different ports have different power levels. Try the other ports

Mayer, Thanks for the answer. I'veonly 2 ports and tried both, switched different connections. took out the battery again, reset the SMU again. PRAM several times. nothing worked.Also there is very little in the apple support forum about this,but a lot of apple users have this same problem. Again any suggestion or answer is appreciated.

Help me learn here. What do you mean that different usb ports have different power levels? On PC's they are all 5.5Vdc.

ABCellars...Not all USB Ports are powered the same. I provided the documentation to prove this a few months ago; can't seem to track it down. But Mac's and PC's have self-powered USB ports that are powered by and "internal hub", but that's usually one port out of two in laptops. And usually the "powered USB " ports are usually in the front of a desktop, and the back ones are not.

I even provided a diagram which showed which USB ports were powered on specific machines. It was in one of my questions....I'll try to track it down.

My mouse has been working for ages and suddenly my mac does the same thing i tried different mouses none of them works and pops up "unplug the accessory using too much power to re-enable usb devices" whats happening!

Thank you all. I tried all of the above and still could not get the USB port to recognize any device. The original device that fried the port was an RC helicopter that came with a USB charging cord. When plugging in an external hard drive or a usb flash drive or other usb devices the device itself will show a light to show that there is power, but the Finder and/or desktop will not recognize the device so I can't click or use the finder to open or move it. Anyone have amy more ideas before I have to plunk down a few hundred dollars for a new logic board you think? I assume this is the same as the I/O board that was mentioned in the previous comment.

Hello BEN... i have exactly the same problem ... i try a lot of things and nothing works, please let me knows if you fix this and how... thanks in advance

Hey Raul, I saw your comment earlier then I spent about 30 mins on the phone with Apple Support...they told me to try:

1)Starting my computer in Safe Mode (shutting down, then starting up while holding down the Shift Key)

2.) Open up a Test User (go to System Preferences/Users and do a Test User and then restart and enter in using the Test User)

3.) Do some kind of drive restart (not sure the name actually) but to do it by shutting down, then holding down Option/Command/the R and P key for 20 seconds, and if it tries to restart while you are holding down, keep holding, and if it tries to start again a 2nd time, then to let go and let it reboot.

I did the 1st step and it worked! Just wanted to lend help on what worked for me. Cheers from Lima, Peru!

Heys,

I have an Macbook Air and I am having the same problem, getting the message USB Accessories Disabled, but I have nothing connected, it started yesterday and the last thing I connected was my iPhone 2 days ago ...

I tried the solutions above (reseting SMC, PRAM, safe mode), none of them seems to work, when I use it on normal mode still have the message.

Any ideas/solutions?

Hey everyone,

I tried resetting SMC as well both ways and still nothing.

Odd thing is that my usb ports work for everything EXCEPT my “Focusrite Scarlett” interface for recording music in logic.

Anybody else have this similar problem??

What if you’re getting this on your iMac (desktop)?

I have a mid-2011 iMac and getting the toaster message '“USB Accessories Disabled. Unplug the accessory using too much power to re-enable USB devices.”

I have no idea what accessories it is referring to, all i have plugged in is keyboard and two ext hard drives which have been fine for the previous 2 years.

Ben Santos will be eternally grateful.